P4 Pub Crawl - best pubs on the route

The Dulwich Raider

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Flying Pig

I've started to worry about the future of that place... I was enthusiatic about it at first, but went in on a Saturday recently and it was totally dead. And it's expensive... a domestic craft beer (regular strength) shouldn't cost ?6 a pint. The back room is laid out like a restaurant, but nobody's going in there for the food.

For the P13 route I suggest the following 4

1 The Earl Ferrers, Streatham

2 The Railway, Tulse Hill

3 The Montpellier, Peckham

4 Beer rebellion, Peckham

Limiting it to 4 is harsh though. Half way round a Streatham crawl a few years ago we stopped off at the Holland Tringham, the spoons on the High Rd. We were just in time to see a pissed pensioner attempt to take the stairs on his mobility scooter, never before has a pub chain been so perfectly encapsulated in one incident.

nashoi Wrote:

> For the P13 route I suggest the following 4

>

> 1 The Earl Ferrers, Streatham

> 2 The Railway, Tulse Hill

> 3 The Montpellier, Peckham

> 4 Beer rebellion, Peckham

>

> Limiting it to 4 is harsh though. Half way round a

> Streatham crawl a few years ago we stopped off at

> the Holland Tringham, the spoons on the High Rd.

> We were just in time to see a pissed pensioner

> attempt to take the stairs on his mobility

> scooter, never before has a pub chain been so

> perfectly encapsulated in one incident.

Please, you have to tell us what happened next - did he make it? Or did he go via the ramp?

"I've started to worry about the future of that place... I was enthusiatic about it at first, but went in on a Saturday recently and it was totally dead. And it's expensive... a domestic craft beer (regular strength) shouldn't cost ?6 a pint. The back room is laid out like a restaurant, but nobody's going in there for the food."

Doesn't sound good - I liked it well enough before I left the area but for the last 10 months I've been paying ?3.40 to ?3.60 for some cracking local craft beers in Sussex (Long Man Brewery, 360 etc) so six quid seems unthinkable now

I know some of the American, high ABV stuff will be hefty proce-wise but can't see why local beers should be expensive

> 1 The Earl Ferrers, Streatham

> 2 The Railway, Tulse Hill

> 3 The Montpellier, Peckham

> 4 Beer rebellion, Peckham

Should definitely add:

2a. The White Hart, Tulse Hill

2b. The Tulse Hill Tavern, Tulse Hill

Both now eminently fine boozers after each have been subject to cracking refurbs.

StraferJack Wrote:

> I've been paying ?3.40 to ?3.60 for some cracking local

> craft beers in Sussex (Long Man Brewery, 360 etc)

> so six quid seems unthinkable now

The craft keg beers are just too expensive.. Kernel Table Beer and Harbour "India Brown" were both ?5.80 a pint, as I recall. It's just too much.

The cask ale is more affordable, but there are other places with just as good real ale selections.

Jeremy Wrote:

> ???? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Flying Pig

>

> I've started to worry about the future of that

> place... I was enthusiatic about it at first, but

> went in on a Saturday recently and it was totally

> dead. And it's expensive... a domestic craft beer

> (regular strength) shouldn't cost ?6 a pint. The

> back room is laid out like a restaurant, but

> nobody's going in there for the food.

Exactly this. It's my local and loved the choice of beer at first, but recently it's become very samey (every other beer seems to be an American IPA) and the food is average at best. Shame.

SLad Wrote:

>

> Should definitely add:

>

> 2a. The White Hart, Tulse Hill

> 2b. The Tulse Hill Tavern, Tulse Hill

>

> Both now eminently fine boozers after each have

> been subject to cracking refurbs.

I thought the Tulse Hill Tavern has closed for good. Has it reopened?

Otta Wrote:

> There is absolutely no justification for that other than greed.

I wouldn't like to go that far... we don't know how the margin compares with a pint of standard euro-lager in a regular pub.

The THHotel (stuck in the past with the Tavern bit) is open already though the official launch night is tomorrow. Looks nice from the outside and might be nice spot to park relatives until the Dog reopens as a through the nose expensive hotel in 2028.

Jeremy Wrote:

> The craft keg beers are just too expensive..

> Kernel Table Beer and Harbour "India Brown" were

> both ?5.80 a pint, as I recall. It's just too

> much.

That's utterly ridiculous particularly since the Kernel Table Beer is designed as a session ale with a low ABV. At nearly ?6 a pint, it's not going to be a long session!

There are a few bars now that price their pints dependent on ABV which seems slightly more fair. At least you know if you spend ?8 on a pint there, you're probably only going to be having one!