why having kids is the best thing ever

shoshntosh

and no, this thread isn't so we parental types can sound smug, or so that we can make you non-parental types feel like mud. it's so that the wonderful sean macgabhanns of this world will procreate!

my top five reasons

1. i no longer completely obsess about myself and the minute details of my life (i obsess about my children and the minute details of their lives)

2. we can really justify the cleaner now

3. i can dress my daughter in all the adorable trends that don't actually suit my body shape (skinny jeans, etc)

4. the parent's race at sports day: my life finally has real meaning!

but the most real and bestest reason ever to have children:

5. i am reminded of what unconditional love is and i see the world again (sometimes) with wonder, with fresh eyes, as if seeing for the very first time...

Aw, c'mon Georgia..

Five more:

Child Benefit

Bunking off work (sick child ruse)

Legitimate reason to be tight-fisted with cash

Avoid dull social events with people you secretly despise (no babysitter ruse)

And they might be good to you when you've lost your marbles and start putting your trousers on backwards. So be nice to them.

yes c'mon. another reason:

The humour.

They are funny, they really make you laugh, intentionally or not.

(Without wishing to descend into 'kids do the funniest things')

when they do things like:

believing in actual magic

walking the streets of ED in a unicorn costume and wellies

Weeing on the floor of the EDDeli

telling a stranger, apropos of nothing- 'at my nursery, we don't put our fingers in our fanny'

Or when they make you sing 'Row, row, row your boat' about 500 times in an hour and each time you sing it, they giggle.

My daughter makes me realise how much love I actually have inside me to give to everyone - not just her. She makes me a better person and boy does she make me realise that work issue are just that... for work and not to bring home.

I have never been so chilled out. I think she has added years to my life. (Not to mention the year I had to give up drinking. My liver loves me)

I don't think having kids is the 'best thing ever'.

My close friends don't have, or want children, and have a super and fulfilling life.

I, on the other hand, am always shattered, have turned into a harridan who guzzles wine like nobody's business. I have little money - compared to when I was working full time -; I haven't been travelling to far flung exotic climes since the first kid came along - and my boobs resemble two fried eggs, thanks to breastfeeding. I used to go to the cinema, theatre and eat out weekly, now I'm lucky if it's every few months.

I love my kids, but am not sure my life is 'better' as a result of having them.

Just when you thought falling in love was the greatest act of narcissism a person could be prey too, along comes middle-class parenthood.

"He's SO like me!"

hats off to Natasha for the brutal honesty. I love having kids, but miss all those things you mention too.

Ultimately though, freedom is a small (temporary?) price to pay for the rewards children bring. I don't for a second think those without children lead less fulfilling lives, but having kids certainly brings an extra dimension to life. And it makes you realise, perhaps for the first time, how much you were loved as a child.

having a mini-me can be appealing, but can also at times be horrifying. for instance, when my daughter bosses my son around with phrases like "because i said so" or "just do as you've been told" i am quite certain it is a form of imitation, in this case not the flattering kind!

natasha, i agree, at least about the fried eggs part.

Apart from wondering just what's to be gained from having little SeanMacGabhann's around (poor misguided shoshntosh!) I am enjoying several of the answers so far. I think the positives are really good (deluded and misguided, obviously, but helpful ;-) )

NatashaD made me laugh out loud as well. Can't say fairer than that

If a drug was invented that allowed me to experience the full gamut of emotions that I experience with my kids then I'd be out on the street mugging folk to pay for my next high. It's not all plain sailing though and that's what makes it even better.

If you haven't had kids then I can only compare it to a close friendship and the times when you can really deliver on being a good friend and seeing the positive results.

Glad I raised a laugh Sean, but it is no laughing matter that kids can potentially wreck one's physique! :'(

As I have already said, kids make you broke

they are expensive

you have to act responsibly

crying, screaming and general noise

mess

cooking cleaning for them everyday

pooey nappies, vomit, wee

they embarass you

they stress you out

you constantly worry about them

etcetera etcetera

One positive, is that you become ambidextrous when you are breastfeeding. And breastfeeding is also a good excuse to sit and chill in front of the computer playing Scrabulous, and wittering inanely on forums such as this.