The Pick of Penge!

The Dulwich Raider

I was at the Nurseries last Thursday with my husband for a few drinks and a great burger, don't normally like ale but I did the Late Knights one :) After strolled to the Goldsmith's for opening night which was busy with a buzzy atmosphere, very shabby sh*te decor though which reminded me a bit too much of our house, after living with building works, but got used to it over a few lagers and ended up quite liking the 'hardcoreness' of it! Will defo be back to both and am excited about the Alexandra.

MrsMcC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was at the Nurseries last Thursday with my

> husband for a few drinks and a great burger, don't

> normally like ale but I did the Late Knights one

> :) After strolled to the Goldsmith's for opening

> night which was busy with a buzzy atmosphere, very

> shabby sh*te decor though which reminded me a bit

> too much of our house, after living with building

> works, but got used to it over a few lagers and

> ended up quite liking the 'hardcoreness' of it!

> Will defo be back to both and am excited about the

> Alexandra.

I did the same route as you MrsMcC last Thursday. The shabbyness was down to rushing to be open for the xmas lights switch on in the High Street so some frills and basic stuff was left undone. Downside was a leaky roof that saw them having to stay shut on Sunday.

Loving Penge at the moment, I have to say though. After nearly two decades of dullness it really seems to be changing for the better while retaining some of its down to earthness.

Well me and Mr D_C are leaving Peckham for Penge after eight very happy years here.

There's definitely an exciting vibe there at the moment. For example there's a fantastic group of people trying to set up a community cafe - CanTEEN - that will help train local young people whilst serving delicious affordable meals and another group is working on opening a new community centre. There's a real sense of people getting behind the area and giving it a push in the right direction.

I have a soft spot for areas that are slightly down-at-the-heel. I like it when there is genuine excitement at a new bar opening, rather than cynicism. Otherwise it's easy to take things for granted when you have so much choice in an area. That said, I shall miss Bellenden Road greatly (particularly Flock and Herd's treacle bacon).

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

> I have a soft spot for areas that are slightly

> down-at-the-heel. I like it when there is genuine

> excitement at a new bar opening, rather than

> cynicism. Otherwise it's easy to take things for

> granted when you have so much choice in an area.

> That said, I shall miss Bellenden Road greatly

> (particularly Flock and Herd's treacle bacon).

Thing is, Bellenden Road and East Dulwich both used to be exactly like that. I am really liking the direction Penge is going in, but (for ME) I hope it doesn't go as far as ED, because (again, for ME) that's too far.

Otta Wrote:

> Bellenden Belle Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I have a soft spot for areas that are slightly

> > down-at-the-heel. I like it when there is

> genuine

> > excitement at a new bar opening, rather than

> > cynicism. Otherwise it's easy to take things

> for

> > granted when you have so much choice in an

> area.

> > That said, I shall miss Bellenden Road greatly

> > (particularly Flock and Herd's treacle bacon).

>

>

> Thing is, Bellenden Road and East Dulwich both

> used to be exactly like that. I am really liking

> the direction Penge is going in, but (for ME) I

> hope it doesn't go as far as ED, because (again,

> for ME) that's too far.

Otta - spot on.

Otta Wrote:

> I don't think a local authority really makes an

> area.