Beckenham - best restaurants & pubs

Sunny007

Hi EDF

we're moving to Beckenham soon - we don't really know anyone in the area that well to quiz for 'local knowledge'. There seems to lots family activities in the daytime, but we're not sure what there is to do for the evenings (i.e going out for a nice meal without the kids). Does anyone know of any good restaurants / gastro pubs / pubs in the Beckenham area? We're going to be living on the 'Clock House' side of Beckenham.

... And any other local Beckenham info would be good too !

Thanks for taking the time to read this

love

SunnyX

For the centre and the east I'd second Townleygreen - the Jolly Woodman is fantastic and El Molino, though a bit of a wallflower in location, is great tapas and good atmosphere.

Towards the west side you've got Penge and the newly opened Cambridge for drinks, Friends of Flavours for Italian and the Bridge House towards Crystal Palace is a decent gastro-pub. Sunday roast there and then a walk around the dinosaur haunted park next door is not too shabby. Beckenham Curry Club in Elmer's End is a decent sit down and take away too. Late Knights brewery is going to be opening the Alaxandra opposite the nurseries soon as well.

You're in a funny spot there. Walk a couple of hundred yards East and you're in Kent. A couple of hundred yards West and it feels like you're properly in London. It's like being one of those creatures that lives right on the shoreline.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I dunno... Beckenham's not really Kent, is it? As

> a historical postal address, maybe. But

> administratively it's most definitely in London.

Not exactly Kent. But it's very quick to get to Keston from there which is very leafy.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I can see what Rodney means though, the feel of

> the place is more like a "border town", e.g.

> Bromley, Croydon, Enfield, Harrow, etc, albeit on

> a smaller scale.

That's it. Clock House is like that bit of the shore where the tide comes in and out - half land and half sea.

rodneybewes Wrote:

> For the centre and the east I'd second

> Townleygreen - the Jolly Woodman is fantastic and

> El Molino, though a bit of a wallflower in

> location, is great tapas and good atmosphere.

>

> Towards the west side you've got Penge and the

> newly opened Cambridge for drinks, Friends of

> Flavours for Italian and the Bridge House towards

> Crystal Palace is a decent gastro-pub. Sunday

> roast there and then a walk around the dinosaur

> haunted park next door is not too shabby.

> Beckenham Curry Club in Elmer's End is a decent

> sit down and take away too. Late Knights brewery

> is going to be opening the Alaxandra opposite the

> nurseries soon as well.

>

> You're in a funny spot there. Walk a couple of

> hundred yards East and you're in Kent. A couple of

> hundred yards West and it feels like you're

> properly in London. It's like being one of those

> creatures that lives right on the shoreline.

I agree with all the points raised here but just a minor correction - it's the Goldsmiths that has opened, not the Cambridge (which is in CP). Personally I'd say Penge is better for normal household shops (eg Wilkinsons and Homebase) and pubs, Beckenham is better for restaurants, hairdressers and cafes.

A lot of Clock House residents go on the Penge Tourist Board facebook site for local Penge news, as Penge has a good vibe at the moment.

Bovine Juice Wrote:

>

> I agree with all the points raised here but just a

> minor correction - it's the Goldsmiths that has

> opened, not the Cambridge (which is in CP).

> Personally I'd say Penge is better for normal

> household shops (eg Wilkinsons and Homebase) and

> pubs, Beckenham is better for restaurants,

> hairdressers and cafes.

>

> A lot of Clock House residents go on the Penge

> Tourist Board facebook site for local Penge news,

> as Penge has a good vibe at the moment.

Quite right, it's the Goldsmiths, the new Antic pub, thanks for the correction That's a testament to some of the strong beers on offer.

The Jolly Woodman is a cool pub.... if that's your thing. I also kind of rate the George which is in the middle of the High Street. It's not the snazziest pub in the world but it's got a decent Garden to enjoy your summertime boozing in.

Jocky Wrote:

> The Jolly Woodman is a cool pub.... if that's your

> thing. I also kind of rate the George which is in

> the middle of the High Street. It's not the

> snazziest pub in the world but it's got a decent

> Garden to enjoy your summertime boozing in.

Both decent local pubs, and Pierluigis is a decent Italian restuarant.

Shameless hijacking of this thread....what is the Clock house/Kent House part of Beckenham like, as we have looked there (mainly because of transport links) but know little else about it? I mentioned it to someone and they turned their nose up at it and said we should look around Shortlands. Is the Clock House/Kent House area the poor man's Beckenham (which doesn't bother me) or is it just not a great place to live? Thanks.

don't really know the Clock House part, but I find the Kent House area lovely (friends live there). Some might turn their noses up at it because it's closer to Penge than Beckenham, but it's nice to be able to stroll to a useful set of shops in less than 10 minutes IMHO. And the transport links are great.

What's wrong with Clock House? It's got a Sainsburys Local and a train station what's not to like? You're sandwiched half way between penge and beckenham so you have kfc and a 99p shop 10 min walk in one direction, and a Waitrose and M&S 10 min walk the other direction. Best of both worlds.

Louisa.

Srisky - we moved to Kent House three weeks ago after eight years in Peckham Rye.

Kent House is a very calm area. I come out of the station at Kent House (past the million pound plus houses) and actually do feel I have space to think and breathe. It's quite visually pleasing. And I like to kid myself I am actually in Penge - in other words, still in London!

It's actually only six minutes to the heart of Penge - where there is plenty to offer - from a brilliant Turkish food store, to the recently opened goldsmiths pub. Not to mention all the usual suspects like lidl and Sainsbos. And you are within walking distance to Beckenham (albeit 20 minutes). Which has a great doctors surgery, an Odeon and a very busy well established high street.

But Beckenham for us is too towny (I have been horrified at being on late trains heading in that direction) - for nights out we much prefer being close to Crystal Palace. Better eating and drinking and quite frankly not as many idiots larging it.)

Lots of very good primary school options around Kent House too - there are about four we would be happy with.

We still use Clock House station all the time to get places and I have even been known to run down there when a train is delayed at Kent House. The transport links at Kent House are extraordinary - so much choice from Kent House, Birkbeck, Clockhouse and even tram links.

I moved to clock house 2 years ago from ED & love it so far. Am in the school catchment area for Balgowan so it's a very family based feel to the area.

Pubs

Goldsmith Arms has just opened in Penge - kitchen opening in the new year.

The Chancery has also just opened in October & is a great gastro pub with amazing food.(I believe it's same owners as Jolly Woodman - http://www.thechancerybeckenham.co.uk/

Some great restaurants

Spice Society near elmers end for the best curry

Sapore Vero for independent pizza oven (No queing needed)

Q Bar & Kitchen/Branded for a great steak/Sunday roast

Hisar for the best kebab (original owners of the ED branch)

Zi Teresa for italian

There's copious amount of good restaurants. What is still needs are nicer pubs, but with the two opening the last 2/3 months there is definitely more promise. I have spoken to the guys at Antic too, who are looking to purchase a pub in Beckenham after opening successful in Bromley. Happy to help if you have anymore questions.

Thank you for the replies, they have been very helpful and have eased the jitters about leaving zone 2 after being and ED blow-in for over a decade!

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

> Elmers End. Thats where its at.

Why?