Christmas Thread

MrBen

Really looking forward to this Christmas because it will be the first time in 15 years I'll spend it down here at home. No obligations to visit anyone, full control over the family guest list and a chance to make my own rules.

One of which is no turkey. Instead it's a rib of beef which has already caused some controversy. But Feck em! The joy of being in charge is endless.

As is the prospect of London emptying leaving the streets quiet and pubs half empty. Perfect.

So where's your "headspace" at this Christmas? Are you dreading it or already twatted on Croft Original? What makes a good Christmas for you?

/over

What would make my christmas is some bloody fairy lights that don't tangle.Last year I carefully wrapped them round some cardboard but still when I went to unwrap them they got in a twist, determined not to give up I have spent nearly an hour straightening them out, a big cheer went up when I succeeded and then when I turned them on, only half of them work.The look on my family's face when I stamped on them and crushed the buggers to bits was priceless.Now I am sitting staring at a bare dark tree in the corner , my dreams in ruins.

I've been feeling quite "Christmassy" this year - think it's in good part happiness at being off work all month (don't tell me I am lucky - it's because I worked on the project from hell most of the year and didn't get to take my leave when I should have done!). I have had my very fake Christmas tree up since the start of the month (my place is really too small for a real one) and am enjoying lighting the room by fairy light in the evenings. I started my Christmas shopping early so am pretty much done now, though I do need to write my cards and wrap the last of the presents.

Christmas itself will be a one night visit back to family in Essex where my sister will be cooking the traditional lunch and then my aunt doing a buffet tea in the evening (they live quite close to my sister) and my dad will be doing the driving so I don't have to nurse a lemonade all day. Boxing Day will be going over to my other aunt's in Twickenham and back to ED in the evening.

What I am really looking forward to is a friend who emigrated to New Zealand nearly two years ago is coming home to her family in Ireland for Christmas and will be visiting us in London after Christmas. We've really missed her on our nights out in East Dulwich and it will be fab to catch up.

I am loving Christmas this year, the eldest (3) is now aware of what it all means so its a lot more fun. We are London based and having lamb for our Christmas dinner (I am not a huge fan of turkey) and roast potatos / roast sweet potato with honey, which we will eat whilst the baby sleeps! I have allocated myself a bottle of nice red and a cheese plate for the xmas present wrapping extravaganza on christmas eve.. B-R-I-N-G I-T!!

big piblet really got it last year and is overdosing on it this year, rediscovering all the films from last year, some better than others. remake of miracle on 34th st is pretty bad isn't it, but wayyyy better than The Santa Clause 3!!

Small piblet is only 2 and a half but hugely excited by it all.

But with all the lights up, and the tinsels, and the carols and cheesy hits on in the evening, and the chocolate, and the excitement abuot the presents, and going to visit santa att he grotto etc etc it's great to vicariously recapture the magic of it.

Last two years were in London which i love, that emptiness, the free for all for the pre lunch pint in the dog or the EDT, or wherever is available this year.

I've my mum and her family coming over to the emerald isle this year as we christen the new home crimbo wise. Lots more space than before so should be manageable.

So all there is to do now is crack open that first sparkly in the morning, sup some sherry as I get the goose and gammon going and relax.

Also my first Christmas in London for many years. My old feller passed away in October, so I expect the mood will be a little sad at times but i'm determined to make it as much fun as possible, especially for my Mum.

I've bought some good seats for the Nutcracker (her favourite) at the Coliseum on the 23rd (haven't told her yet and can't wait to).

My Christmas spotify playlist has been ready for a couple of weeks and it had it's first outing this weekend when writing the cards and decorating the tree.

The big day will start late morning with home-cooked Eggs Royale and a glass of bubbly and we're eating out for Christmas for the first time (Le Chardon).

Despite the circumstances i'm really looking forward to Christmas this year. Hopefully it will be a nice antidote to what has been a very tough year for a number of reasons.

Love Christmas at home in SE22 - no travel and packing is just an immense benefit on its own; nice and quiete but friendly; easy to get last minute things on the Lane - plans include house full of family, Turkey, Boxing Day - actaully my faviourite day of festivities - walk & pint(though the Dog not an option this year), Charades, Chess, Backgammon, the King George and three points against Arsenal.

Kids are ridiculosuly excited already.

We are heading to NZ to spend Xmas, NY and my 40th with my family there. Not easy with 3 kids who all believe in Santa, lots of suitcases involved, but worth the journey as it's the only time I can truly relax when I'm at home. It's always great to catch up with old friends.

This time of year is also a sad one for us, as my brother passed away last year and his birthday was Xmas Eve. We try to celebrate by doing something special - last year it was panto at Catford (oh the glamour!), this year we have booked into a kiwi pub for dinner and there's a resident magician :)

I too am excited about Christmas this year. Taking the kids to stay at my parents on Christmas eve so we can all have Christmas morning together, then up to my sisters for dinner, then home in the evening and hopefully some child free time sat on the sofa drinking and eating a load of crap.

Have spent Waaaaaaaay too much opn presents this year, but I absolutely love giving people presents, and I can't wait to see the girl's faces when they open their Frozen ice palace.

I stopped doing the full commercial Christmas a long time ago and, although I sometimes feel like I'm letting other people down or that I should be doing a lot of social and family things, I find it's usually more peaceful and meaningful this way. On Christmas and Boxing Days I'll be helping out with lunches locally for some peeps who are alone but not, unlike me, by choice.

I have to be cliche and say bah humbug. "A day older and not a day richer" in the words of Ebenezer himself. Lots of bills to pay alongside the expectation of family and friends to waste money on gifts and cards for them (probably never appreciated). The cost of all the unhealthy rich seasonal food and the horrid January diet that follows. I couldn't feel less festive if I tried. However, I am enjoying the shortcrust mince pies on offer.

Louisa.

Basically it's about the kids innit.

Not that long ago my opinion of Christmas was "it's a time of year when lonely people feel even lonlier". And I still think that's true. Some poor sod threw himself in front of a train at Penge East station this morning, which kind of reminds you that not everyone is full of festive cheer.

But when you see how excited the kids get it's hard not to smile and enjoy it, even for a grumpy fucker like myself.

I have no family apart from cousins in Canada and Newcastle who I have not seen for 50+ years.

I do have a 2 case of Peroni,

Grand Marnier, Drambuie, Cointreau, Apple Estate Jamaican Rum, Grants Whisky, Khahlua, Pernod , Turkish Raki,

Black Sambuca, White Sambuca, Greek Ouzo.

Sherry.

Just need a paper hat and some twiglets.

I will lock my door on Christmas eve and not open it till Boxing day night when I will have my

usual Christmas Curry.

DulwichFox

My view on work over Christmas. Unless you're in essential public services or performing some kind of job that requires you to be "on call" (ala Dulwich Raider).....everyone should get 23rd December to Monday 5th Jan off. Because nothing gets done over that period, nobody is interested in doing any work....and people are more likely to appreciate it and come back in Jan fresh and ready to get going as a result.

Our guys get the whole fortnight off (Friday is last day) on top of 25 days annual leave. A nice Christmas lunch in a nice eatery. And a bottle of champage and a card. It seems to go down well.

Otta - yep it's mainly about kids/family, and when I said "can't see what's not to love" I was making the perhaps insensitive assumption that you have family to spend it with... hopefully those who won't be spending it with family will still be able to enjoy themselves. I realise I'm very lucky to have parents who are still here, as well as wife, daughter, brother, sister, nieces, nephews.

Anyway... working in finance (sort of), we need people around whenever the market's open, so I'll be in over some of the xmas period, but don't really mind it. Long lunches, early evenings, etc.

Wasn't trying to get at you or anyone mate, just remember my mid 20s when I was going through a bit of a miserablist era, I hated Christmas.

But no one should feel guilty for enjoying Christmas, it's not their fault that others don't.