Which TV?

Alan Medic

We currently have a fairly old 32" Toshiba but I want a larger screen for what I watch most, sport (oh yeah and movies). As a new TV is a gift of sorts, I don't want to go overboard on price (I haven't been given a budget) but I'd love something with a much larger screen. My eyesight is no longer 20/20.

Any suggestions out there, as after a brief look I see there are all sorts but none of the technology means anything to me apart from HD? My probably flawed logic is that the more expensive it is the better it's got to be.

Any advice please TV watchers/buyers?

I'd see a Doc about those missing pages!

I don't know whether you are being your usual piss-taking self or whether you are being serious when you say: "What about 50" and under ?500?", but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. OK...

"Which" class a 50" as "large" and they publish 13 "best buys" for large tvs (large being between 46 and 55") - none of which costs under ?500. The cheapest are the Samsung UE48H5500 and the LG47LB585V both @ ?529. If you are prepared to be a little less tight-fisted...ahem...sorry...I meant...if you would like to extend your budget, then please let me know and I may (if I feel inclined) list some more for you. They go up to ?1,799. :))

ETA: at no. 3 of the Tables is a Samsung UE48H6500. Not only is it a high scoring "best buy", but it is also a "best value" @ ?610 with "some of the best features, all catch-up TV apps, superb sound and picture".

Earlier in the year I bought a lovely Samsung 55" smart TV, which has inbuilt freesat viewer, iplayer, etc apps built in and records programs a-la SkyPlus. Got a good-ish deal as it was end-of-line.

My review: smart TVs are pants. Classic jack of all trades, master of none. The freesat viewer and guide are flaky, the recording is hit and miss. iPlayer/netflix/etc apps work well. The screen is very, very good though.

If I had my time (and money) again, I would find the best screen available for my money (Samsung or LG seem to be best here) and forget about any bells and whistles. Instead I'd get myself a good Humax PVR which has the iPlayer stuff as well ... which I'm probably going to do anyway.

My suggestion is to go online to the Appliances Online website ao.com

They have many video reviews on the different types of TV's, they even explain the technologies. I find the video reviews really informative. AO also have really competitive pricing too!

"Where to put it" is the main barrier to getting a super-large TV in one of these victorian houses. A unit in the bay window is ugly and a waste of space. Above the fireplace is also ugly, and gives a terrible viewing angle. The alcove beside the fireplace can work, but you probably can't fit in much more than a 40", and placing for stereo speakers is awkward.

• 2 months later...