Tesco to close 43 stores

Louisa

This is true, particularly the ED Rd store, but as James Barber has previously suggested, the likes of Waitrose are not at all interested in any sites away from the main stretch of Lordship Lane itself, and my money is still on M&S taking over Iceland (sadly) at some stage this year. I personally prefer Tesco to Sainsburys because they don't pretend to be anything other than a big supermarket.

Louisa.

red devil that would be great news as I love a bargain and Iceland does some decent fresh foods too. But speaking to various members of staff, some have confirmed they won't be in a job later this year and they have had their last christmas in ED. Although none of the websites have been updated confirming any of this. I do a lot of my shopping at lidl in Peckham or Penge nowadays in preparation for any Iceland closure.

Louisa.

Iceland.

I was told by one staff member over a year ago that they could expect 3 months notice of any closure / take-over.

I've no idea if that still stands and that staff member has since left.

I love Iceland. ?1.00 for many branded products costing up to double that elsewhere.

I suppose there are those amongst us that will take a spare M&S / Waitrose bag to avoid

any embarrassment when shopping there. and wear dark glasses to avoid being recognised. :)

DulwichFox

I think Iceland is profitable enough if not being asked for silly rent - Callows is still a fine locksmith and presumably still profitable now they have escaped the massive rents being asked on LL.

Now that there are more and more new breweries springing up I hope some of the Tesco Metros are turned (back) into Pubs :)

maxxi two brand new pubs coming to Peckham this year - John the Unicorn, Rye Lane and The Hope, Melon Road. Both in brand new spots never previously occupied by pubs. Great news I say. I believe the same company that runs the EDT is taking them both on?

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> maxxi two brand new pubs coming to Peckham this

> year - John the Unicorn, Rye Lane and The Hope,

> Melon Road. Both in brand new spots never

> previously occupied by pubs. Great news I say. I

> believe the same company that runs the EDT is

> taking them both on?

>

> Louisa.

That would be The Antic Pub Company :- http://anticlondon.com/

37 Pubs 7 New ones on the way.

DulwichFox

Indeed - a chain I approve of :-)

With regard to Tesco, many of the Tesco Express stores have been opened speculatively to see if they'll be profitable. A quick and dirty way of judging local demand, similar to the way Starbucks used to flood an American city with stores and then see which ones floated and which ones sank.

• 3 weeks later...

'I personally prefer Tesco to Sainsburys because they don't pretend to be anything other than a big supermarket.' I thought that pretending to be a bigger supermarket than they actually were was part of the problem? I will forever associate them with the odious Dame Shirley Porter so rarely shop there.

Having recently moved offices to two areas that have not yet had a whiff of gentrification, I've been exploring Aldi and Lidl and wouldn't mind seeing one in LL instead of Iceland.

JohnL Wrote:

> Heres the list in the new Guardian format

>

> Nothing here.

>

> http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/28/te

> sco-store-closures-list-in-full

So however shit you thought the local Metros' were. It's good to know there are 43 worse ones in various cesspit backwaters of UK. I can just imagine the Grangemouth branch...empty and under a 200 ft ethanol chimney.

Louisa Wrote:

> LL Iceland is much busier

>

> Louisa.

I know your favourite restauranteurs Le Moulin used to shop in Iceland a lot Louisa. I know you like both. There might be some sort of chicken and egg thing going on here.