Can anybody help with a printer problem?

Sue

My Canon MP970 printer has gone berserk.

It now "prints" blank sheets of paper, after a series of error messages, one of which is apparently the cause of two class actions against Canon in the States :(

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Personal-Printers/Call-to-Arms-for-the-dreaded-U052-Wrong-Printhead-Error/td-p/65759/page/3

There's 74 pages of that thread, starting only from September 2014 and most from November 2014:(

The printer was quite expensive but also it's quite old (six years old) so not sure whether it's worth shelling out to get it repaired, assuming that it could be.

I have been using compatible cartridges, but I have been since I had the printer, so I doubt that could be the problem.

Does anybody know of a local-ish person who could help? Thanks.

ETA: I'm a bit desperate, as I use the printer a lot :(

Personally, Sue I'd get a new one. You can pick up a descent multi-function printer for about 70 quid, which is probably less than getting it fixed would cost.

My old HP printer is in the process of dying after about 7 years and I picked up a Canon in the new year sales. I'd point you in the same direction but, sadly, Tesco has put the price back up. It's still sitting in the box waiting for my current cartridges to finish.

Hi Sue,

You could try removing the print head and flushing it out with cold running water for ten minutes or so until the run-through is clean, allow it to dry thoroughly!! replace and pray !! No doubt you have tried the recommendations on the canon site? Other than that Buy a new printer , prices have dropped dramitically in the past few years, but choose carefully as it's the ink where they make their money!!

Good luck R/C

Thanks all, good advice.

Right-clicking, I haven't had time to do anything except the very obvious, but I will have a look over the weekend. However people didn't seem to think that the Canon advice was very effective :( But deffo worth trying.

What is very annoying is that I bought a whole load of cartridges in bulk (not Canon ones obviously) and they almost certainly won't fit any new printer I buy.

Also very annoying that many of the sales have finished!! C'est la vie!!

"What is very annoying is that I bought a whole load of cartridges in bulk (not Canon ones obviously) and they almost certainly won't fit any new printer I buy. "

This!

This is something for the rage thread. Yes we can be frugal and buy cartridges only when needed but that can be a false economy. If we try and be clever and buy cheaply in bulk we are stranded when printer itself goes

Imagine rebuying all cds everytime a cd player died

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is usually possible to refill cartridges with

> ink... if you can be bothered (I can't).

I checked that out once. It was cheaper at the time just to get new compatible ones. I always google to find the cheapest (depending on reviews also, obviously).

And yes, life's too short to refill (plus in my case the 99% certainty that ink would go everywhere but the cartridge).

You could try uninstalling and then reinstalling... and checking if there is any "job" waiting to be completed... maybe a driver update issue (usually starts playing up even if nothing has actually changed!)?

Home printers are rubbish for long life and certainly if you've had it for a while it may just be time to get a new one :)

red devil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> KalamityKel Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > You could try uninstalling and then

> > reinstalling...

>

>

> I did this recently and it sorted out a similar

> non-printing problem...

As my problem is to do with printing, I am genuinely interested to know what your "similar" non-printing problem was!!!