Wounded Fox on Bassano St 11.30pm tonight

shoshntosh

Just a head's up that there is a wounded (or sick?) fox on Bassano St.

When I drove down the road about 10-15 mins ago it was sitting right in the middle of street and seemed alert but unable to move. It finally sort of dragged itself to underneath a nearby car. Really sad and pitiful. Looked like possible its hind legs had been broken?

Where I'm from in New Hampshire it is custom to put an animal like that out of its misery. Unfortunately I couldn't do it. Poor foxy. I know they can be a nuisance sometimes but I don't like to see them suffer. It was full grown and otherwise quite beautiful.

There is a charity called The Fox Project that can help between 9am-9pm but outside of these hours they advise to ring the RSPCA.

I've just rung the RSPCA and they've said that they will send out help right away if we can see the fox when we call (as they said that foxes are quite resilient and that it's possible this fox may have already moved at this point). I'm going to check if it's still there now and will call RSPCA from there if it is!

Walked up and down both sides of Bassano street and checked underneath all the cars and in house entrances but no fox! Hopefully that's a good thing as means it recovered enough to move?

If anyone else sees it and it needs help, please call the RSPCA at any time on 0300 1234 999. You'll need to be with / be able to see the fox when you call and apparently they'll send out help immediately. They should have a case already open for this fox with Bassano Street as a reference!

Saw a similar thing a few years ago around this time of year, fox sitting looking stunned then dragged itself up the path. I rang a fox rescue centre, explained what I'd seen, they laughed and told me the fox was probably male and had been having an intimate time with a lady fox !!

Thanks, all, for the advice. Have put RSPCA number into my phone if I should have a future such encounter. Very relieved it had moved on as hopefully it wasn't as injured as it seemed.

I really have seen a LOT of foxes around lately... I used to see them occasionally but now seem to see them frequently. I guess that means they are thriving (generally)?

• 2 months later...

I thought we were talking about foxes?

But for the record, people share their homes with rapists, peadophiles, thieves, despots, tyrants and a whole bunch of animals with far worse characteristics than a fox. Just because you crap in a toilet doesn't make you any different. The crap has to go somewhere. Rats thrive in our sewers because of OUR shit. They carry disease from OUR shit. The rubbish they feed from is OUR rubbish.

People are bigger vermin.

The rubbish, waste and shit produced by billions of people on the planet compared to foxes is much more in line with any definition of vermin? Or is that too complex for your understanding of how species evolve?

If you can form an intelligent disproof of that statement then go for it. Have a think about it and ask yourself if your view of foxes as vermin is logical and reasonable?

The truth is that you have more to fear from the poor hygiene of people around you, than you do from a fox.

I think if most of us knew that we were living with a rapist or a paedo we would probably do something about it. If i promise to report any rapist or paedo to the police then am i allowed to get rid of a rat in my house?

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't get all the sentimental stuff over human

> beings either MissMad. Especially the ones that

> value their species over other species of animals.

Anyone who doesn't understand why we value humans over animals has totally lost the plot.

Well thank goodness some of us have 'lost the plot' then, bacuse otherwise we would have many more extinct species and worse animal cruelty practices than we already do.

Humans are not as clever as they think they are. We are destroying the world we live in. We live by a system that values profit over people. I don't see animals doing any of that.

And btw. Nowhere has anyone said animals are more valuable than humans, just that humans aren't necessarily any more valuable than animals. I really do wish people would read what is actually written, rather than what they think is written, before then belittling that view to madness.

Out of interest, let's hear just why you think human life is more valuable than animal life? Because that eco system, that is extremely important for all life on this planet couldn't possibly be as important as humans could it?