loft conversions - is yours clad in zinc or corian?

Yak

We're thinking of doing a dormer plus outrigger loft conversion. Has anyone done one in a more interesting cladding than fake slate - like zinc or corian? If so I'd really like to ask you some questions!

Recommendations for companies, builders, etc most definitely not wanted.

Many thanks

Hi,

Check for planning restrictions. The lacking in interest fake slate are installed as a cheap solution yes, but you will find that it can also a southwark planning condition that exists with some full planning applications and all permitted development restrictions. The idea is that it marries into its surroundings. The link I have copied will give you an idea of what is acceptable.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/loftconversion/miniguide

If you are in the Borough of Lambeth you may be lucky as they seem to approve lead lined dormers so I would think Zinc may also be accepted.

Corian is also commonly used as a kitchen surface and as a loft is so high up you may want to consider how you would clean it. I don't know if it weathers as well as a ferrous surface.

PM me if you have any specific questions but beware..... I most definitely am a builder

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I think I'd reached the same conclusion too via some haphazard googling. It does seem that the restrictions in Southwark mean that if you want your conversion to go through under permitted development rather than planning permission fake slate reigns supreme. We are still quite interested to see what a conversion with another material would look like, to help weigh up whether it's worth going through the risk of planning on staying safe with PD. It sounds from what you say Southwark might still turn us down on a full application.

That's a good point about cleaning the corian. We were thinking of dark grey for precisely that reason, though that doesn't rule out bird muck I suppose...

Do you have any views (Tradesman32 or others!) on elec underfloor heating in a loft? I'm attracted to it on the basis of maximising wall / storage space - but is there anything specific we should be looking out for?

UFH in a loft can work but there are pitfalls.

WET underfloor heating:

There are systems out there that are designed to work within a structural timber floor and this is what your loft floor will be. There are also engineered floor boards and some carpets that will work with timber underfloor heating. The pitfall is that timber is an insulator and not so much of a conductor so the system won't be as efficient as it would within a concrete screed and tiles for instance. As a floor structure, timber, won't hold the heat within itself when in comparison to a concrete tiled floor. If you try and use this system like a radiator, it will take a fair while longer to bring up the temperature in a room as the transfer of heat through the floor is slower than a radiator in the room. With all that said UFH is designed to be and will need to be run constantly All things considered, I don't think it would be my choice.

Electric UFH.

This has similar characteristics to above but it does respond a little quicker. However, It is expensive to run as the sole source of heat if it was used for a large area of moderate use. We regularly install this to bathroom floors and it provides a lovely warm surface for your feet for the short time you are in the bathroom.

Yak Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It sounds from what you say

> Southwark might still turn us down on a full

> application.

I wouldn't dismiss a full application. For a start you can write to the planners, free of charge, under what is known as Pre-Application Advice. They will then give you feedback/comments on your proposals, enabling you to make the necessary amendments before a formal application and fee is submitted. You will normally need to submit drawings with specification/materials noted, in order to get proper feedback/comments. So in your case, you could initially state that you are proposing zinc and see what they say...

• 1 month later...

Hi Yak, I too am thinking of zinc cladding on a loft conversion. We had fake slate on a previous house last year which was good but not the greatest finish when the builders cut the tiles to size.

Did you get anywhere or progress with a different cladding?

clicka, we played it safe in the end and went for fake slate with possibly a brick skin for the outrigger. A combination of budget, timing and planning constraints led us there. We haven't ruled out zinc if we ever do up another house and have the money/energy!