Cost for plans for an extension?

Azira

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section.

I'm looking to get a small (as in around 4.5m2) single story extension done, which will probably involve installing 2-3 RSJs as load-bearing walls will be changed. The builder who was recommended to me is pushing me to use his architect and said he would expect it would cost around ?2K including the specs from the structural engineer. Does this sound reasonable, or am I paying over the odds for not going locally?

Thanks MissMadMoo.

It is well within permitted development so won't need planning approval. Would that take the cost down much from ?1500? This is going to be a very simple, small extension - the kind I've been told would normally be passed down to a technician or junior.

That depends entirely on the scope of works your builder requires from their architect.

Architects can draw up simple plans and specifications or engage fully in project management.

My advice would be to consult an independant architect and discuss your requirements with them and perhaps ask for a fee as comparison.

It is well within permitted development so won't need planning approval.

If you want it certified as a permitted development (you will if you ever want to sell) then you still have to submit plans etc. to the council - and permitted development or not it must still be built to building regs. Even if it doesn't need planning permission per se it still needs to be viewed and OK'd by the planning department. Which means you will need proper professional plans if you want it to go through smoothly.

• 1 year later...
It?s definitely a good idea to look into other options. Also, it?s not necessary to work with the architect that your builder has recommended. There are many companies out there with expert designers that can provide you architectural services for a reasonable loft conversion plans cost. Don?t hesitate to discuss your requirements with them. Maybe you could find other companies that have cheaper prices. Hope this helps!

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> pop9770 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If it's a side extension it won't be permitted

> development you'll need planning.

>

> If it's a small kitchen (under 3m long) then it

> will fall within PD.

NO if it's on the SIDE it will require planning.!

ONLY If it's directly on the back is it permitted development.

Sue Wrote:

> The OP was nearly two years ago, so I imagine it's

> all been done by now!

Yes but the info may be of use to others.

pop9770 Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> -----

> > pop9770 Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > If it's a side extension it won't be

> permitted

> > development you'll need planning.

> >

> > If it's a small kitchen (under 3m long) then it

> > will fall within PD.

>

> NO if it's on the SIDE it will require planning.!

>

> ONLY If it's directly on the back is it permitted

> development.

>

Not the case, single storey side extensions less than 50% on the width of the original dwelling definitely come under permitted development. The only exceptions are if the side of the house fronts a highway or the house is on designated land. https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguides/extensions/Extensions.pdf

rendelharris Wrote:

> Not the case, single storey side extensions less

> than 50% on the width of the original dwelling

> definitely come under permitted development. The

> only exceptions are if the side of the house

> fronts a highway or the house is on designated

> land.

> https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguid

> es/extensions/Extensions.pdf

Is that a recent change in the permitted rules ?

Also if the maximum length is 3metres that's a big problem because most side extensions will need to be 5-7 metres long to go the full length of the rear part of the house.

So 80+% of ED side extensions will still require planning . I maybe have read the rules incorrectly ?

The three metre max length is for extending at the rear (4m for detached houses and 4m/8m respectively for rear extensions up to May 2019) - side extensions can run the length of the building.

Newish regs I think - been looking into them all recently as mother's neighbour has been asking her about adding a large extension to his house.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Actually I think you can only fill in 3m of the

> side return under PD. Obviously this is not enough

> for most houses, but it will be enough for some

> (e.g. the houses on Tyrrell Rd which have a tiny

> kitchen at the back).

Apologies, you're quite correct (got confused by people saying side extensions (which can run the length of the side of the house for a semi or detached) rather than side returns) - the point at which the side return starts is considered the back wall of the house for that purpose, so three metres out from that, the maximum rearward development allowed. Though as above until May 2019 the maximum rear extension for attached houses is 4 metres, so presumably that also applies to side returns.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is relevant to the above, but a friend of mine recently used a company called Buildpath for some initial advice on a proposed side return, which I seem to remember cost her a few hundred pounds. They provided floor plans, a 3D model/renders, planning guidance and a project report. They can definitely help you out with the initial stages without you committing to thousands in fees. Also a good option if you are thinking about buying a property and weighing up the pros and cons of an extension or loft.

https://www.buildpath.io/

[email protected]