The Royal family - murdering scum filth or an asset the the country?

keekybreeks

So Prince harry is wondering what to do with his life and is considering leaving the army. Seesm like killing brown skinned people isnt as much fun as it used to be. poor lamb

His brother however is heavily involved with banging out successors to the line and travelling the world shakinhg hands with other rich royal scum with a long history of murder and enslavement.Just like his own lot really.

discuss

Extra points for bringing up

*tourists

*tourist money

*tradition

*Royals now paying tax

*the Queeen Mums role in WW2

*The sad death of mountbatten

*isnt his mrs pretty

*His mum would have been proud

The establishment would still exist without a monarchy. Every country that is a republic still has a class system, with public schools they can send their kids too (to shape the next leaders to keep the status quo) while everyone else scrambles in the state provision. Monetarism is the only ism that defines class and every system in the world operates under it.

The Queen is clearly an ambassador, especially to former colonies and the commonwealth. I don't know if that has any benefit in trade or public relations (I'm guessing it does), but politically no. And when a royal, like Charles, does get involved in controversial or political debate, it's frowned upon by even his own family. They may be heads of state but the Queen has never exercised the constitutional power she supposedly has. Puppets of the government come to mind. Definitely outdated but a nice tourist attraction all the same. They do own a heck of a lot of land though, and the armed forces swear an allegiance to them! So not so easy to get rid of either.

I'm absolutely not a monarchist - the Royal family strike me as being a bit like a very ill and old pet - extremely expensive to keep creakily going so that you wonder what the point is and euthanasia might seem a kindness. But it could be worse - we could have Putin...

Apart from the democracy angle, there's the financial argument. I forget how many millions HRH and her family cost us each year (I seem to remember an official figure of ?80M), but whatever it is Republic dispute this and claim a much higher figure. To me, the return on investment is dubious.

Also, the royal family is neccesary scapegoat for the government.

If there ever was massive dissent towards the government from the public, and people started clamoring for change - it would be the royal family they throw under the bus to settle us down.

They haven't had to yet, so maybe let's start lighting some fires?

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The sovereign grant is around ?30million per year.

Try replacing that with the full Presidential office and associated civil servants. I doubt you'd get much change and may even cost you more.

At the moment a meeting with the Queen equals and perhaps surpasses a meeting with the POTUS. Utterly invaluable for the UK. The UK President would be a comparative nobody on the world stage.

Well there are many countries that have a Presidental government..

Like :-

Argentina

* Armenia

* Belarus

* Bolivia

* Brazil

* Chile

* Colombia

* Costa Rica

* Cyprus

* Dominican Republic

* Ecuador

* El Salvador

* Guatemala

* Haiti

* Honduras

* Indonesia

* Iran

* Kenya

* Liberia

* Mexico

* Nicaragua

* Nigeria

* Panama

* Peru

* Philippines

* Seychelles

* South Korea

* Sri Lanka

* Suriname

* Tanzania

* Uganda

* United States

* Uruguay

* Sierra Leone

* Zambia

The presidents are all listed.. But I'll let someone else do that..

DulwichFox

I'm not a big fan of monarchy and I've never hidden my dislike for our take on democracy in this country, but I can appreciate that the majority (in most polls) still seem to like the status quo and I respect that.

Louisa.

I just think that if we removed them, very little would actually change. The monarchy does publish all their accounts online and I guess whether or not we think they are worth it/ good value depends on the price we place on the Queen's role as a ambassador. I think she is still very much respected among world leaders.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> I just think that if we removed them, very little

> would actually change. The monarchy does publish

> all their accounts online and I guess whether or

> not we think they are worth it/ good value depends

> on the price we place on the Queen's role as a

> ambassador. I think she is still very much

> respected among world leaders.

The question always is - who would we get instead

A politician, President Blair possibly, the speaker (Bercow), Boris.

or would it be a celebrity.

I am not a big royalist, but compared to a lot of people who have inherited large amounts of wealth, the Queen and some of her family at least seem to do some work for the country in return for it.

Not sure we'd do better with an elected president given the behaviour of most of our politicians.

It's the divine right of Kings etc. isn't it? They 'rule' (well, you know what I mean) because of a lottery of birth - I'd be all in favour of a switch to a more Babylonian Lottery approach a la Jorge Luis Borges (complete with punishment tickets to keep viewing figures high).

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> Alternatives would have been:

>

> President Thatcher

>

> President Blair

>

> I'll stick with the Windsors

Well we still had Thatcher and Blair and the Windsors were powerless do do anything about it..

So why do we need both.. ?

DulwichFox