Advice on Bad Neighbours

theboycj

Does anyone have any advice on how to push a landlord to evict bad tenants from a flat if you are affected by their misbehaviour, drug taking, anti-social behaviour? Is there a formal way of seeing this out? Does anyone have any advice?

Ellem86 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Unless I've missed something, OP didn't say the

> bad tenants were DSS

I was assuming from experience - E. Dulwich is expensive to rent and the people who can afford it might have slightly loud alcholic tea-parties, but otherwise nothing describing OPs problems. But I'm derailing the convo.... carry on

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do. You can report them to the police, but unless their music is loud and aggressive late into the night, and you have some definite proof they are taking drugs even the police can't do much. They can't enter a premises on the basis of drugs without a warrant.

Have you tried approaching their landlord directly?

This thread is a no brainer.

If they are doing illegal things report them to the police

If they are making excessive noise report to Environmental Health

If they aren't doing either, speak to your local coucillor about what can or can't be done.

Tetris... what an insulting stereotypical response..if there "bad drug taking neighbours" then they have to be dss tenants.!! .couldn't possibly be anything else.

It's that sort of attitude that makes it hard for people who,for whatever reasons,have to try and find a decent place to live whilst on benefits.

My gran had a lot of very nice helpful young people living next door to her and she was a plant lover. They went on holiday and asked her to look after their pot plants which she put on her balcony..and they literally were 'pot' plants and she didn't know (until I visited her and she's saying 'oh look at these lovely plants, aren't the leaves attractive' and so on.....)

uncleglen Wrote:

> My gran had a lot of very nice helpful young

> people living next door to her and she was a plant

> lover. They went on holiday and asked her to look

> after their pot plants which she put on her

> balcony..and they literally were 'pot' plants and

> she didn't know (until I visited her and she's

> saying 'oh look at these lovely plants, aren't the

> leaves attractive' and so on.....)

Then you had a little smoke together, right?

That would be a perfect story ending

On the original OP. I had something similar, so contacted the landlord direct. It worked out ok in the end

• 1 month later...

malumbu Wrote:

> This thread is a no brainer.

>

> If they are doing illegal things report them to

> the police

> If they are making excessive noise report to

> Environmental Health

> If they aren't doing either, speak to your local

> coucillor about what can or can't be done.

Thanks for the best laugh of the day with that one! No brainer indeed.

malumbu Wrote:

> This thread is a no brainer.

>

> If they are doing illegal things report them to

> the police

> If they are making excessive noise report to

> Environmental Health

> If they aren't doing either, speak to your local

> coucillor about what can or can't be done.

Yes, no brainer, agreed to all the above. But before going to the local councillor, you need to speak to the landlord, as the tenancy may have info about what is/isn't acceptable.

Also agreed with others, re drug-taking alone is not necessarily anti-social behaviour. However, if there are minors living in the property, and you strongly suspect that they are being put in jeopardy, then you should report it to social services or the police.

In your complaints/enquiries for further info, you need to be able to document specific behaviours that have led to anti-social outcomes on multiple occasion over a period of time.

From your post, it's not clear what you mean by "anti-social", so if it's just noise, I tend to agree with Otta that you should just talk to them. If they've been aggressive towards you, then you need to document it. A witness would help.

Good luck. xx

Jules6862 Wrote:

> Tetris... what an insulting stereotypical

> response..if there "bad drug taking neighbours"

> then they have to be dss tenants.!! .couldn't

> possibly be anything else.

> It's that sort of attitude that makes it hard for

> people who,for whatever reasons,have to try and

> find a decent place to live whilst on benefits.

Whilst Alcohol is acceptable (even encouraged) employers

and vetters hate any form of illegal drug. (I understand

why a lot of people think that's unfair)

it is just a huge no no with them if they even suspect.