That fancy fish and chip place, next to the chicken shop

tetris

I had a look at their prices and noped the hell out of there, but I do see people in there eating.

So for the one's who've been:

what's it like?

A symphony of breaded or battered fish deluxe decorated with ever so politely placed chips, all complimented with sprinklings of salad?

Or is it just bog standard fish and chips...?

I mean the chicken shop's right there, it's not like they can pretend....

I've not been in there for four or five years now. I quite liked it then, especially for the red snapper. I liked the fact you could order your chish n fips with a bottle of wine to wash it down with. I'd heard their standards had dropped slightly. Never had a takeaway from there. I'd prefer an old chippie for that. Now you've mentioned it though I might just try it again soon.

It's a tricky one - and you're right not to go rushing in. One must think very carefully before deciding to drop a whole pound or possibly two - over the odds - on a portion of fish and chips.

Gather as much information, feedback and opinion as you can. Collate and assess the evidence. Take as long as you need. Remember - if the fish and chips are not everything you hope for you will never get that extra ?1.50 back - and you'll be kicking yourself for years.

^ that sounds delish.

@Bob - yeah yeah har-de-har :P -- it's not really about the money, it's more about whether you're being duped into paying that extra ?1.50 because you're a sucker for a charming smile, rather than paying that extra ?1.50 for getting quality food.

Though from what I'm hearing it's an 'experience' thing, which could be genuinely good.

@Loz - What's the "pick your own" thing like? Is it actually a tank full of fresh fish, or are you picking off a menu?

@Jah - Yeah I know what I'm getting tonight. Just not from where...

Actually, Sea Cow is pretty good in our experience and not over-priced. It's main advantage is sitting down to eat when the food's come straight our of the fryer - fish and chips really are better when piping hot. If it's takeaway you want, Sema's on Underhill Road is good.

it used to be better in the old pre gentrifier days* (2008)

had a couple of bad fish from there last year- this can happen of course- but have since migrated to the Herne Hill fish bar- proper chips, with random crispy slivers in them. dont order a large F&C unless you are a registered trencherman though, as it comes with about 1kg of chips - im not taking the piss here either

nah, the one up the hill from the station, towards DK hill. kens is a bit greasy, but the HH fish bar is a real find- always cooked fresh as well.

we order F&C, bring it back and then remove half the chips to cool and be frozen afterwards.Easy meals for the babies when the the other 'arf is at book club/ boozing at the Montpellier/ having a heart starter at the Gowlett. they know nothing about this- its mine and the kids little secret

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> tetris: neither - they have an open cool-area with

> the fish laid out, fishmonger style, all ready to

> cook.

Dear God that sounds horrific. I can't imagine eating in the same room as a fish mongeresque stall. The smell would put me right off.

Not a big fish lover as you may have guessed.

This place is a bloody rip off. I've looked at the prices and numerous times and been shocked, hoping that they would eventually knock them down a bit. If I want nice fish & chips i go to Something Fishy in Lewisham, good quality, good price and a good atmosphere - minus the pretentious snobbery.

Louisa.