Parking for Bicycles

DulwichFox

A Neighbour of mine on Ulverscroft Rd. has told me he has received notice of Parking Restrictions

and that parts of Ulverscroft will be dedicated to Bicycle bays.. with an option to raise any objection.

I have not received any such notification and wondered if anyone else had. ??

It does not seem plausible..

DulwichFox

I have more details now..

Yes it is a Cycle Hanger...

The copy I have is a copy of a copy and is not clear but it looks like it will be

located outside 50/52 ?? Ulverscroft Rd.

Evidently the hanger has been requested by a local resident and will house 6 bicycles.

The spaces will be available to rent for 'a small fee' ? First come first serve .

I cant see why anyone would want to park their bicycle in a back street residential road

so far away from the station. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Why haven't all residents been informed about this scheme. ?

DulwichFox

We also received a document from Southwark council on Saturday, saying that there is a proposal for a cycle hangar to be installed in our road in Nunhead, almost outside our house, with the consequent loss of a parking space. The document refers to the council website for more information, but I can't find any further information about it there. If anyone can let me have more details, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Cathy

There was discussion about this scheme on the forum about a year ago.

I think it's a great idea. I will deffo get and ride a bike if I have somewhere to keep it which doesn't involve climbing over it every time I open my front door :)

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There was discussion about this scheme on the

> forum about a year ago.

>

> I think it's a great idea. I will deffo get and

ride a bike if I have somewhere to keep it which

doesn't involve climbing over it every time I open

my front door :)

Well Sue.. Do it. The Bicycle Hanger is planned for outside 52 . Not that far from you..

Six places available First come first serve for a small fee.

I don't know what that fee would be. Perhaps just ?2.00 per day ?? ?60.00 per month . ??

I'm just guessing.

So go for it.. get rid of your car . get fit and save money and the Planet.

Foxy.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > There was discussion about this scheme on the

> > forum about a year ago.

> >

> > I think it's a great idea. I will deffo get and

> ride a bike if I have somewhere to keep it which

> doesn't involve climbing over it every time I

> open

> my front door :)

>

> Well Sue.. Do it. The Bicycle Hanger is planned

> for outside 52 . Not that far from you..

> Six places available First come first serve for a

> small fee.

>

> I don't know what that fee would be. Perhaps just

> ?2.00 per day ?? ?60.00 per month . ??

> I'm just guessing.

>

> So go for it.. get rid of your car . get fit and

> save money and the Planet.

>

I reserved a place last year :)

The fee is very much less than you guess :)

ETA: I was told (by the people who install the hangars) that the rental is ?30 a year. It may have gone up now though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not surprised some residents have not received a questionnaire on their views when it has so much potential to cause noise disturbance during sleeping hours as people come and go faffing around locking/unlocking their bike, and then occasionally let it slam shut. Bang. Hello graffiti. Bad idea. Devalues properties in immediate area.

This is what it looks like. I'm opposing it.

Just based on my opinion and that of my neighbour - not so much the appearance of it but what I think is the inevitable noise disturbance which I'd expect a potential buyer to factor into their property valuation. Maybe give estate agent a ring, if you're concerned, for their view.

I think if it was uncovered like you see with motorbike parking then okay not a huge deal, just an eyesore, but does it look like a contraption that isn't going to be a noise problem occasionally late at night or in early morning when someone accidently or lazily bangs it shut?

If that really is what is intended then what a stupid-looking, half-baked, ramshackle affair it is.

Like a failed chicken coop circa 1941 or a something knocked up by a local school caretaker; "Yer, gimme some chicken wire and a bit of corrugated iron and wallop. Call it a tenner a pop?".

Surely there are more stylish (or just less shitty looking) alternatives?

I've got one opposite my house. For six months it's not made a single noise even though it's full and used every day. It's also not damaged the value of my home.

Cars and slamming doors, loud music, boy racer exhausts however...

I did initially think they would look much better with a bit of planting around them to disguise the prosiac design. But they've obviously been designed to be quickly installed insitu, and removed if required. Maybe if they are a success, some permanent greenscaping can be added to integrate them more...

Not as ugly as oil spills, air pollution, emphysema and asthma.

Re: loss of parking, they fit 5 bikes in one car space, so it?s a gain in parking provision, not a loss, unless you don?t consider cyclists as legitimate road users/tax payers/people with a right to have their needs catered for too.

LadyDeliah Wrote:

> Not as ugly as oil spills, air pollution,

> emphysema and asthma.

>

> Re: loss of parking, they fit 5 bikes in one car

> space, so it?s a gain in parking provision, not a

> loss, unless you don?t consider cyclists as

legitimate road users/tax payers/people with a

> right to have their needs catered for too.

They don't pay Road Tax ..

If you have a bike keep it indoors.. No place.. ??? Live Up Stairs ??

What about buggies ?? Same problem..

So are we going to have Buggy Hangers ???

When we lived in flats back in the 50's - 70's there used to be purpose built Pram /Cycle Sheds.

This is just another attack on the Motorist

Anyone wishing to have one outside their house should NOT then also own a car which they then park

outside someone else's house.

DulwichFox

LadyDeliah Wrote:

"Not as ugly as oil spills, air pollution, emphysema and asthma. "

..and not as ugly as planting a new tree or a bed of roses in those proposed bike shed spots

"unless you don?t consider cyclists as legitimate road users/tax payers/people with a right to have their needs catered for too."

What about the rights of people wanting to use the bus - what about the ridiculous idea of a bus stop on every street?

"Bikes run on fat and save you money, cars cost you money and make you fat"

Cyclists will lose even more fat if they have a 10 minute walk to bike lockers at Peckham Common or East Dulwich train station :-)

DulwichFox Wrote:

> They don't pay Road Tax ..

>

> If you have a bike keep it indoors.. No place..

> ??? Live Up Stairs ??

> What about buggies ?? Same problem..

> So are we going to have Buggy Hangers ???

> When we lived in flats back in the 50's - 70's

> there used to be purpose built Pram /Cycle Sheds.

>

>

> This is just another attack on the Motorist

> Anyone wishing to have one outside their house

> should NOT then also own a car which they then

> park

> outside someone else's house.

>

> DulwichFox

No one pays road tax Foxy. It doesn't exist. In fact it hasn't for some time. I know you love a good cut&paste job so, voila:

ipayroadtax.com

"There has been no direct relationship between vehicle tax and road expenditure since 1937."

We all pay for roads. They come from general taxation.

You pay a vehicle duty because you drive a something that pollutes the air. Stop whinging.

david_carnell Wrote:

> You pay a vehicle duty because you drive a

> something that pollutes the air. Stop whinging.

This. Which is why electric vehicles are also exempt. There is no road tax.

Bike lockers waking neighbours at night? Seems unlikely that the cyclists will be habitually keeping such antisocial hours.

I agree about the loss of a parking space though. Most cyclists I know round here also own cars. Let's not pretend that one more bike on the road automatically equates to one less car.

For what it's worth, we were living in Ulverscroft Road up until just over a year ago. We would probably have moved sooner or later but as my wife and I both cycle to work and we have young kids (equals buggies, scooters, etc) the lack of space for bikes was absolutely the key factor that motivated us to start looking for somewhere new to live. Houses in Ulverscroft don't have enough space out front for a bike locker and we could barely get in and out of the house.

So I would have gladly welcomed one of these when we lived there. And I would have been ever so careful not make too much noise opening and closing it, just like I am with the one I have now on my own property which is more or less directly under my neighbour's window.

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> They don't pay Road Tax ..

>

> If you have a bike keep it indoors.. No place..

> ??? Live Up Stairs ??

> What about buggies ?? Same problem..

> So are we going to have Buggy Hangers ???

> When we lived in flats back in the 50's - 70's

> there used to be purpose built Pram /Cycle Sheds.

>

>

> This is just another attack on the Motorist

> Anyone wishing to have one outside their house

> should NOT then also own a car which they then

> park

> outside someone else's house.

>

> DulwichFox

-----------------------------------

Ignorant uninformed tosh, on many levels....!!