Mountain biking

malcomio

Is there anyone out there who wants to do some off-road cycling? Maybe go out to the North Downs while the weather is good - nothing too hardcore, though.

I need to get some use out of the suspension on the mountain bike I got last year - I put slick tyres on it, and I've only used the knobbly tyres once.

I spent a good 10 years of sunday mornings on the north downs before my bike and bones gave up the ghost. our best start route was in a car park just before holmbury st. mary, cycling up the hill from there took you to the top of holmbury hill, from there work your way east to leith hill for a stop at the top for cake and tea and back again. there is some tough climbing in this route though - but you can't really avoid climbing on the north downs. obviously, there's a thousand variations, the best way is to just head out and explore, take an OS map and see where you get to.

holmbury is off the a25 dorking to guildford road, travel up for about a mile and you find the car park on your right, quite well hidden. if you get into holmbury village you've missed it.

check the OS maps on their website.

i'd love to come but have no bike no more (and am on holiday on that date).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the lift yesterday. I really enjoyed the ride, especially the rugged downhill sections. Apparently that awful initial uphill section we faced did run parallel to Box Hill which has a certain reputation so lets not beat ourselves up about it. Overall it was a good intro and I suggest we do it on a fairly regular basis....I'm a little sceptical about you getting 3 bikes on that rack though! ;-)

thanks for the suggestions. definitely up for doing that again - saturday 23rd somewhere and saturday 30th at Oxted should be good for me. if there are 3 of us up for a ride, maybe we should pick somewhere doable by train just in case we can't get 3 bikes on the back of the car (which i think is probably quite likely)

Pending the arrival of my headset spanners, aye. Text me your phone number in case I need to get hold of you at short notice. I'll pm you with it. What day are we going on? Was The Godstone route the alternative to the smaller route we did last time, the one with the dreadful looking hills?

oh sorry - really should read things through before sending them. Saturday morning.

godstone isn't as far away, not sure how harsh the hills are, but the description says "the shortcut helps avoid some of the big hills, so there are no excuses"

hmm...

• 6 months later...
If anyone is interested in a bit of mountain biking in Kent then please let me know. Malcolm had his bike swiped a while back and I guess he hasnt replaced it yet and the net result is that I havent been offroad for months now! If anyone has a car and cycle rack that would be even better(split petrol money etc). M. :))

Hi Bon3yard

I'm new to ED and would love to go for an off-road trip but it depends how hard-core you are on your off-roading? I haven't got a huge amount of experience but I love it and have got nerves of steel if that helps!

No car though.