Lake District

LondonMix

Anyone here every been to the Lake District? I'm organising a group trip and given the size of the group there are only 3 locations available with houses large enough to accommodate everyone.

1. Cartmel

2. Coniston

3. Keswick

Any thoughts on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I grew up in the Lake District and used to live in Cartmel.:)

It's a picturesque little village with a couple of very good pubs as well as a Michelin starred restaurant, and is within a 15 minute drive of Lake Windermere.

It's also close to Grange-over-Sands, with it's long promenade and a fantastic hotel - the Grange Hotel - which is a great place to go for lunch/afternoon tea or dinner: http://www.grange-hotel.co.uk/

Coniston is great - a good variety of walks at all levels close by, plus the lake to play with, great pubs and not quite as touristy as other areas I'd say. There's a huge house called townson ground you can rent - ,its only about a mile from the village.

Wherever you go though it'll be great - the lakes are a fab destination, even if it rains!

Coniston is great, that's where I stayed when on a field trip many years ago with a large group of us. I don't think the accommodation would be considered fancy enough for a holiday but for a group spending most of their time outdoors it was absolutely fine, if a little basic. It was so good I cannot remember the names of the places we went to!