Where to move in Forest Hill/Brockley/HO?

ExitPursuedByABear

We are hoping to move long-term to around the above and would love to hear your thoughts on the best spots to locate ourselves please. We have a one-year-old, and even though it seems premature, I feel like whichever road we pick will determine which school they ends up at, as catchments are often small.

Our budget is around ?700,000 for a, hopefully Victorian, house (which rules out areas around big parts of Forest Hill and Brockley).

Which bit/school would you personally go for? Would like her to a lovely well-rounded school, but obviously without living there it's hard to find out anything other than Ofsted and league tables. Are there areas where you could be well located for both secondary and primary? Also any similar areas worth a look? Thanks so much!

Forest Hill but on the Dulwich (hilly) side, not the East side of the railway.

Horniman primary really good.

Lots of parks, the museum and Aquarium, easy access vis the overground to east London and west end.

Great Saturday Farmers market, small town centre which still has useful shops, WH Smith,Boots,Sainsbury,M&Co.

lots of friendly local cafes, a library and a swimming pool.

Lived here 4 years, moved from Notting Hill.

Love it.

Oh! we've also got a superb local butcher.

Honor Oak Park for me just feels a bit 'nothing' by comparison.

Brockley has the advantage of being in Zone 2 but for me personally it just doesn't have the nice family vibe as FH.

Also I like that I can easily get to Lordship Lane, Peckham (with its up-and coming resturant and bar scene) Brixton

and Crystal Palace from here as we have bus routes that go there.

Any houses around Stillness, Dalmain, Fairlawn.

We went east of the tracks as I work in between Canary Wharf, Kings Cross plus travel via major airports/train stations therefore east of the tracks you have two separate train lines to choose from which comes in useful.

we have a two year old and another on the way so schools was a big choice for us, have a look at the results of the above schools to see if they fit what you are looking for.

P.s. Jenner Healthcare Centre is pretty good

There are lots of sub areas within Forest Hill and HOP - the right one for you will depend on your preferences for bus vs train, being able to walk to various amenities, school ethos and housing stock style. All of the schools are pretty good (including the ones that tend not to get mentioned on the EDF!) but there is quite a range in ethos. Based on your criteria I'd suggest the roads around Kilmorie and Dalmain schools might be a good place to start looking.

Have you considered Sydenham?

It has a good high street, excellent transport links (direct links to LB, Victoria, Cannon St as well as the ELL), six lovely parks and some nice houses that would fit your budget.

My wife and I moved with our daughter from ED to Sydenham around a year ago, and absolutely love it.

In terms of schools, you are spoiled for choice. You are close to a number of good private schools, while the local primaries are also very good. There is some useful advice on the local forum:

https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12664&p=109250&hilit=schools#p109250

For private schools, you might want to consider St Dunstans as they offer a well rounded education, and many parents we know are very happy with the school.

Finally, Sydenham has a real community feel. We know all of our neighbours already - which has been a welcome change.

Good luck with the search!

Thanks so much for your responses - greatly appreciated! I'm thinking around Dalmain looks very suitable. I guess if you're nearer Dalmain, Stillness won't be an option?

Near Horniman Primary would be amazing, but I think it's a bit out of our price range now?

She's one now and will apply when three, so I guess not too far off. But I know they can change, so by a few decent ones would be great. Do you get three choices of decent nearby schools, or is it basically a case of you're only realiscally going to get a choice of one, this is the case in Muswell Hill.

Does anyone know how close you need to live to get into Chelwood nursery - is it .25 of a mile, like with primaries?!

Also what is the furthest distance usually like for Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham? I know things can change, but all things being equal, I guess I might as well try and live within.

Huge thanks again for all your help! :)

I know it could well change, but all things being equal I guess it's worth a punt.

If you wanted to be close to both Dalmain and Stillness you could try some of the roads south of the high street in Honor Oak. Lots of victorian houses. This is also in the catchment area of the Jenner Health Centre. I know of a family from Gabriel Street whose child is at Stillness, but keep in mind that catchment areas change every year (not always necessarily shrinking, but you never know).

Not sure about Haberdasher's. I think their catchment area is very tight, but we are still ways off so who knows. Another good girls state school is Prendergast Hilly Fields.