a sad farewell to the Comedy at the Hob, Forest Hill

Huggers

Kicked out of the old EDT to make way for a pizza place, after almost singlehandedly putting East Dulwich on the map with years of brilliantly curated comedy, new play readings and impro, champions of comedy Ron and Emma bought The Hob in Forest Hill to give their comedy club a permanent home. Alas, this is the last weekend!

http://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/content/1702/news-legendary-south-london-comedy-club-closes

very very sad.

They were running the pub as well and I think that was a huge enterprise.

They were hugely experienced in and supportive of new and established comedy.

Household names would test material there before doing it on telly- Harry Hill and Michael Macintyre.

The EDT was a really successful Friday and Saturday night WEEKLY comedy club with a Thursday pub quiz. The little office upstairs was used for admin and publicity. They curated the very first ED Festival with comedy, music and theatre on Goose Green and in the pub.

If they were still running it I think they would have sustained that kind of interest, perhaps to an even greater extent now that ED has become a hubbub of going out-ness. Maybe Forest Hill just doesn't have the same buzz?

Ron and Emma are immensely respected and loved by comedians.

There is the last of the music and comedy at the Hob all this weekend if you want to show your support, with last of the comedy on Saturday night.

Damned shame. We've been been spoilt somewhat over the past twenty odd years or so and had some fantastic and memorable nights at The Hob and the EDT. Best of luck to Ron and Emma in whatever they choose to do and thanks for all the fun and enjoyment you've helped bring to us locals over the years.

Sad news in deed, but some good alternatives in the area including our own Ivy, and the Amersham Arms.

I used to enjoy the 'South of the River' and 'Off the Tube' cabaret at the EDT, when it was a rough old Millwall pub downstairs before many of you lot moved into the area! Half of the Radio 4 luvvies crowd used to do a mid week impro session - always joked that Stephen Frost (bless) was the unfunny one on 'Whose Line is it Anyway'.

Strange, but despite all the good stuff at the Hob, I've never particularly liked the place (nor the Pie and Kilderkin before that). Better pubs in the area.

I liked some of the Edinburgh warm ups when you'd get six in the audience, four or which were with the act. Saw Paul Nichol to the excellent 'Naked Racist' where he had to do a retake of the last bit when he got his kit off. Surreal. I had a thread on this on SE23.com but the fascist who runs the site took it off as he didn't understand that I was talking about a comedy act. RRRRssss

• 6 years later...

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> RIP Emma Emslie, a wonderful woman and beautiful

> soul

Very very sad, but she and Ron gave so much. Back about 12 years ago my life hit that ?is this it? moment and my kids were old enough not to be so dependent on me always, and I had some energy to get out. I definitely didn?t want to do the ?lads out on a Friday nite? thing and a mate suggested I join him at the Hob on a Monday nite, for new acts. It was such a funny time, where at times it?d be single figures in the audience.

But the real joy was watching people brave enough (and often funny enough) to get up there and risk failure, and that was inspiring. I?d say it pushed me to push myself in business with more confidence than I?d ever thought possible.

I?m grateful that people like Emma put on these nights, and the jammed packed Saturdays where people like Micky Flannigan would compare and you?d get the likes of Eddie Izzard turning up. She knew you need both ends of the spectrum to give talent a chance.

I?ve watched a lot of stand up over the years, it still makes the hairs stand up on my neck.

RIP Emma 👏

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Huge shame. I saw Eddie Izzard upstairs at the EDT

> before he made it big. Chatted to him at the bar

> afterwards.

I was there too.

He was brilliant.

"You kings ......"

🤣🤣🤣

ETA: just noticed the post I replied to is from 2015, and sorry I hadn't seen the recent posts on the thread.

Sorry for the inappropriate post under the sad circumstances.