Agressive woman on lordship lane last weekend

swedbuilder

Hi all! Last week when I took my wife out for a meal in Dulwich we were assaulted by a black woman who approached my wife from behind and started pulling her her. She was very agressive and rude. luckily the situation ended without a fight. She was in company with a white man with bald head and mustache. Have anyone had the same problem with this couple? The woman is very noisy and rude. Will appreciate replies as I want to let the local police know about what happened. Thanks

Oh no what a horrid thing to happen. I've never come across this woman and don't think I would want to.

Hope you and your wife are now ok.

Did you not call the police at the time?

Also unless she was the colour of the rainbow,it's fine to say black.

It is now more PC (cf Cumberbatch incident) to say 'woman of colour' - but let's get over this - in this particular case, as we were being asked whether we had been involved in similar incidents, the description of the pair (I assume the man was bald rather than just bold) is relevant.

It is now more PC to say a woman of colour????

Says who? How ridiculous is that.

Says the American anti-racist literati, who complained vociferously a few month's back (during the Oscars) about Cumberbatch's use of 'coloured' instead of 'person of colour' - when he was making an anti-racist point about casting and recognition.

And yes, I think it is worthwhile getting over arguments about phraseology when it was clear it was not intended to offend, and when the identification of someone's looks was relevant, in this case to aggressive behaviour and whether it was a repeat offence.

This is not the same as arguing we should 'get over' casual (or intended) racist or offensive language. This wasn't it. The acceptable terms for describing someone's race (when it is relevant) have changed and are constantly changing. Using a now-outdated expression without intending to offend is hardly a capital offence. BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) has now segued into BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) - neither would be helpful in describing an attacker.

Rather than competing on being as PC as possible and talking down to a man who has a wife who is a woman of colour (or whatever the current acceptable phrase is) and who doesn't therefore need a lecture on racial tolerance, it would be more useful if people could help him by commenting on what may have been an unprovoked assault and trying to identify the woman who assaulted his wife.

If you contact the police they may well have a good idea who it is. After an incident with a v aggressive woman coming to our house (could possibly be the same person as you describe though you haven't given much detail) I called the non-emergency number just to flag it in case she came back and our local bobby followed it up later in the week - he thought he knew who it was. Thankfully she hasn't been back but I did spot her on Lordship Lane a couple of days ago

So from this thread it seems like if you attack someone in the street and an observer describes your ethnic background in an old-fashioned way then you are innocent and they are racist. And the focus changes entirely to attacking the observer.

Very convenient I have to say.