Nespresso machines

Polly D

My coffee machine has finally died and for convenience I want to get a nespresso machine. However, I'm a bit bamboozled by all the different versions/models.

Can anyone explain the differences between them to me? I'm thinking of getting the cheapest one - the inissia. I'd spend a bit more if it was worth it but can't see much difference between all the models, in terms of power and bars. There appears to be a Krups version, and a Magimix version, and maybe more. What's the difference? Just the name?

Also the aeroccino milk thing. I'm not after frothy milk but do like hot milk in coffee, like a flat white, not a cappuccino. Is it worth it, or is it a gimmick?

Anyone who has a nespresso and an opinion on it, please let me know! Thanks

I like my Nespresso machine... only use it on weekends so the cost of the capsules (30p each) is not a problem for me. I have a basic "pixie" machine and it's fine if there's just one or two of you. Less cleaning than a regular espresso machine, which suits me.

The aeroccino makes really good "velvety" frothed milk, but if you're not bothered about foam, just heat your milk in the microwave or whatever.

Buy a coffee jug perchance? and invest in a proper grinder, the later makes a real difference

Oh and of course 'beans' you'll need to buy beans

No to Nespresso machines and the silly pod things, and kick Clooney in the slats while you're at it

Grrrr...

You can't beat the real thing and I find that there are only a handful of the capsules that I like but it does make for a much better alternative than instant coffee.

Also relatively hassle free. the aerocinno is handy for heating milk and quicker than doing it in a saucepan.

The Pixie machines are fine for general use.

We have a Nespresso machine - the one with the integrated milk container (bought on special offer a while back). I can't put it better than, it's great for "drinkable coffee with almost zero effort". We don't drink a lot of coffee so beans and grinding and stuff is a bit beyond us. It's lasted well so far, easy to keep clean, makes a decent cup of coffee and easy to use. Other suppliers do Nespresso compatible pods now as well.

I don't think there is a huge difference between the machines in terms of quality of coffee - from looking at reviews online when we were buying, the frothers used to vary a bit but were all thought of as pretty good when we bought ours.

What Jeremy said. I like my little Pixie. Two thoughts, Polly D. The difference between the brands is probably one of style rather than function or reliability. Ours is a bright green Magimix. As for the Aerocino frother, it makes a decent froth but nothing dense enough for flat whites, no matter how much banging you do (technical term...) And bear in mind the frother isn't dishwasher proof.

You know you want one, even if it is made by the evil Nestl?.

Thanks for the advice/opinions, guys.

Bought the Krups with aeroccino from JL for ?99. Is exactly what I wanted. Yes, I love good strong coffee but am no barista, and though in an ideal world I'd grind fresh beans, and use a snazzy machine it's just not practical. I need my fix in the morning and there's no time to faff about! I've got a mocha stove pot which is fine but you don't get any kind of crema, but it's a good alternative to filter.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Here's my morning:

Push button on kettle

Push button on grinder

Add fresh ground to jug

Kettle boiled

Add water to jug

Go get washed/dressed

Come down and pour coffee

Drink

I know, it's pretty hardcore BUT it's worth the effort

numbers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> you make it sound so easy seabag but who does all

> the post coffee clearing up at Seabag Towers eh?

It's really easy numbers

Grits into composter/wormery

Wash cup & jug

Repeat as nessasary

Plus the fact that Nespresso have a Regent St showroom is just toooo much for me

• 1 year later...
I think the Nespresso machines are all the same. I have two at home of different ?models? but I couldn?t seem to find the difference between the two. As long as it is Nespresso, I?m good. I also use Coffee Pods Compatible with Nespresso because they are very cheap compared to the pods that Nespresso offers.

I like good coffee.

But when you're woken up at 5AM by a whingeing toddler who insists on being held, you need something to bring you halfway to the land of the living, and that's when Nespresso shines. Using your one available arm, get cup, pop the pod in, press button, await reasonable approximation of coffee. The milk frothy thing makes excellent babycinos too.

The main issue with all the pod coffee makers is the waste. The pods aren't easy to recycle and unless you send them back to nespresso they just go to landfill.

Have you looked at the Areopress? It makes nice coffee, and it's quick.