Best driving route from ED to the M4?

tomskip

I don't know how to do this without getting on to the Embankment (usually via the bridge just past Battersea Dogs & Cats home, can't remember which one that is) and then sitting in traffic from Chelsea, through Earls Court and left on to the A4 at the end there. This took me 1hr 15 minutes on Saturday morning, nearly all of the delay was from Cheyne Walk onwards. Is there a quicker way? Thanks.

I concede I use Cheyne Walk route but different bridge.

They key is what time you leave. I am regularly in Wiltshire and leave EARLY if going on a Saturday (Friday eve is a nightmare). Isusally leave 0530 and get to SN12 for 0730.

ED, Camberwell, Oval, Vauxhall Bridge, Embankment to where houseboats are (where you're forced to head North to A4), A4 through hammesrmith flyover, Chiswick, M4.

tomskip Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't know how to do this without getting on to

> the Embankment (usually via the bridge just past

> Battersea Dogs & Cats home, can't remember which

> one that is) and then sitting in traffic from

> Chelsea, through Earls Court and left on to the A4

> at the end there. This took me 1hr 15 minutes on

> Saturday morning, nearly all of the delay was from

> Cheyne Walk onwards. Is there a quicker way?

> Thanks.

You can go over Vauxhall and up through Victoria and then do a left at HPC but you then get caught in Knightsbridge quite a lot of the time - I tend to alternate between the two but gety equally fed up!

I also go via Cheyne Walk and Earls Court. Really don't think there's much alternative. You could try to pick out a rat run from the river to the A4 in South Kensington, but I wouldn't fancy it without a navigator. Heading out west through South London would mean going via the dreaded Wandsworth, so that's no good either.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Also if you play techno on car stereo it make a

> you go faster.

Personally, I find Hawkwind and amphetamines a quicker and more cosmic combination. Could probably do it in 40 minutes that way. Seriously, though, Google Maps reports a magical 51 minutes "without traffic" to T4.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> You can also follow the South Circular as far to

> Kew Bridge, then join the M4.

Can do, but having a boyfriend who used to live in Richmond and done that drive quite a bit, I am not convinced it's quicker. On a good day I could get to Richmond via south circular in 45 minutes, bad day could be an hour and fifteen. Mostly he could cycle it quicker than I could drive...

Takes long enough to get to Croydon to pick up the M25 and you've still got half of the southern loop to do that I am sure that route is slower too (not to mention must use more petrol)

I usually use the route you suggest tomskip and have found the best way to speed it up is, as suggested, travelling v early or late etc. Wish there was a faster route - the boyfriend has now moved to the Midlands and in terms of travel time, nearly half my journey is getting to the M40.

Yes, living in London is the nuts, but getting out for the occasional weekend getaway is a pita.

But, actually, steveo's post reminds me than you can skirt up past Earls Court via Wandsworth Bridge, Fulham Broadway and then up on North End Road. The turning right for Wandsworth Bridge is before the really slow part of Wandsworth, so might try that next time.

Nightingale Lane / Wandsworth Bridge / North End Rd sounds like one to try. TBH doubt it will make much overall difference, but at least it seems to avoid the usual choke points.

Croydon/M25 sounds far-fetched... surely it's going to take 40 mins in clear traffic just to get onto M25 jn7.

instead of Cheyne Walk and earls court, take Albert bridge and go straight over, left at the fire station then second right onto Old church st then all the way up to the Cromwell road where the corner of the Natural history museum is

the roadworks in Vauxhall and Battersea and causing massive problems at the moment, a normal 40 min morning journey takes me up to hour and a half at the minute to battersea