Windows vs Chrome laptop

david_carnell

Any advice from the tech-competent forumites?

I/partner need it for web-surfing, low-level word processing and spreadsheets and running a small book business.

The Chromebooks look an attractive option in the spec-for-price issue. Chrome will run all the usual social media apps but I'm concerned over the ease of editing MS Word and Excel files using the GoogleDrive. Is it easy to do? Limited options?

Anyone taken the plunge?

Or best to stick to a Windows8.1 laptop for the time being? Albeit probably a lower-spec one for the money than a chromebook.

Apart from the limitations of no operating system when off line I cannot see any other issues,you'll probably have less of a chance of being infected as well. google docs will handle any format you chose without issue or you could always use microsoft's own cloud portal "onedrive",

Most Chromebooks have about 1GB or 2GB of memory and a tiny amount of flash storage. Good luck running Windows on that!

Personally, I'd fork out another ?100 and get an entry level Windows laptop.

Chrome books are rubbish. We bought a mac book air its quick to open and use and has none of the conflicts and glitches we suffered with windows. NOW had to buy a 2nd laptop with a windows operating system to go with sat nav, car diagnostic system, other gadget stuff ... that only compatible with windows. Heard of lots of problems with chrome, from not connecting, not enough storage etc.

Chrome laptops are absolutely fine for what they are, which is basically a cheap laptop with the capability of a tablet. You can't expect more for the price.

The Macbook Air is a wonderful device...but you could say it's rubbish because it won't work with a lot of devices or programs that are Windows only!

If money's an issue then you'll get by with a Chromebook. Otherwise go for a Windows laptop - preferably a business model which is more robust - or a MacBook - which will make life a little easier.

Choosing between Windows and Mac is really down to personal preference. See which one you prefer.

I'm writing this on a Chromebook which I use a lot. Once I realised that 90% of my laptop useage was essentially browsing a Chromebook became a cheap quick and sensible option. For that it is absolutely brilliant.

But.. even though logically I know that Google docs etc would work for me when it comes to actual work I reach for the Windows laptop instead. I guess in my head a Chromebook is at the moment a kind of tablet with keyboard, and great at that, but the Windows laptop is still a "proper" or "real" computer. Not a logical conclusion I know, but where I am right now.