Loft conversion -- added house value -- St Francis estate

Alex K

We're in one of the little matchboxes, two-up-two-down, on the St Francis estate. No question that a loft conversion would increase habitability.

But would it increase house value, as assessed by an estate agent?

Zoopla and RightMove values, comparing converted-loft house with next-door-non-converted-loft house, don't show that the investment adds value. (Cf. 73 Abbotswood Road, not converted, with 71 AWR, converted... the former on Zoopla is actually a few hundred quid in the lead.)

I know that those website estimates are crude -- that's why I'm turning to EDF readers for the real story.

Your thoughts / experiences / opinions sought. Thanks.

Extra space always adds value. Estate agents will tell you it won't add more than it costs, but it's their job to discourage any works that might delay getting a property on their books. The only issue with small st Francis estate houses is the small ground floor would leave the house top-heavy so extend into the garden at the same time if you can. Look at potential increase in square footage - extending a small house can have a big impact. Also look at prices of other modern 3 bed houses with equivalent square footage. Don't use zoopla, their metric for value added by improvements doesn't work.

Definitely adds value. I've watched various neighbours properties go on the market (I am on Underhill), some with, some without loft conversions and other extensions and it makes a big difference if they've been extended. I think it's generally accepted things that add more space pay off, whereas a fancy new kitchen might not.

The point about being top heavy is fair. My house had the loft converted before I move in, and it does feel like a 2 bed house with an extra bedroom rather than a true three bed. Although my last three bed before I bought this had an integral garage on the ground floor, so I guess that had a similar imbalance between living space and sleeping / bathroom.

If you can add in an en suite I would seriously think about doing so. I use the loft conversion as my bedroom but it's a bit of a trek to the bathroom.