The man of kent - Nunhead

Louisa

Not been for a while. Any regulars on here able to tell me if rambling peter will be playing any time soon?

Had a look online for info and according to google the pub is "permanently closed" please someone tell me this isn't true? I know how misleading these things can be.

Many thanks.

Louisa.

It's too far away to walk, is it not?

I mean, surely there must be similar pubs nearby that you can go to instead. Why should residents of East Dulwich have to go all the way - that great distance - to Nunhead, in search of entertainment and a drink?

Believe it or not numbers I am closer to the man of kent than I am the castle, but there's not much in it as the crow flies.

I usually make Mr Louisa drive me there, he rarely drinks. I do all that for him.

Louisa.

Nunhead is an easy walk from the Goose Green area. Nothing wrong with a bit of variety.

I think it was the Man of Kent where one of the regaulars propping up the bar said to me "there's no white wine here." Funny as we were there to watch the boxing and were drinking pints, and I wasn't even wearing my floral dress. Also funny, as they actually DID have white wine. Never felt the need to return.

Jez I think you had a humour faux pas there. The MOK guys are quite dead pan with their delivery. They're a friendly bunch when you get to know them. The staff are great too, always doing plenty for the punters like free food, BBQ's, sport on the big screen, live music etc

Louisa.

Worst pint of ale I've ever had was in the MOK. Ruddles if I remember rightly. Tasted like someone had taken a piss in the barrel, buried it for a millennia and then served it in a glass that had previously held rancid milk.

And the gents - I've seen HR Giger interiors that had more simplistic pipework and wiring.

Other than that.....nice place.

For the love of god can you people not leave me anything? The man of kent is (was?) a lovely friendly pub, maybe a bit tired around the edges, maybe not a big snazzy collection of hipster locally brewed ales, but plenty of banter, a great atmosphere with live sports and most importantly of all - the best pint of Guinness (along with the pyro) for a good 3 miles around.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For the love of god can you people not leave me

> anything? The man of kent is (was?) a lovely

> friendly pub, maybe a bit tired around the edges,

> maybe not a big snazzy collection of hipster

> locally brewed ales, but plenty of banter, a great

> atmosphere with live sports and most importantly

> of all - the best pint of Guinness (along with the

> pyro) for a good 3 miles around.

>

> Louisa.

I didn't comment on how friendly it was, nor whether the decor needed updating, the banter of the patrons, the sports or the Guinness. I said the ale was awful and the toilets were terrifying.

I was there with friends so didn't engage in the "top bantz" that Jeremy describes - doesn't sound like I'm missing much mind you.

Do you know the Woodsman in Beckenham, Lou? Or the Blythe Hill Tavern on the south circular? Proper old boozers, no fancy grub at inflated prices or mismatched artisan furniture nonsense. Both cracking pubs I'd spend my day in. Why? Because the beer is good. And I can take a piss without worrying about xenomorph is about to eat me! So climb down of your "woe is little old me" hobby horse. The MOK is fine - if you don't mind a choice of three identikit lagers to drink. Or Guinness. Otherwise it's cack.

I've no problem with old-school pubs. I quite liked the old Palmerston. The Half Moon and Ganley's in Herne Hill were regular haunts in the late 90s/early 2000s. All fine. But quiet pubs with a little posse of regulars standing at the bar doesn't make for a friendly experience IMO.

Aye - although that doesn't take much. Most are dreadful.

The Chancery, round the corner from the JW, and I think owned by the same people, is more food-orientated but does a cracking Sunday lunch.

It's just got that feel, when you step through the door, that all will be well doesn't it? And they have about half-a-dozen ales on the go at onece, all immaculately kept. Little music, not tv (aside from when the rugby is on - another bonus) and no fruit machines or the like. Perfect.

Never been to the Jolly Woodman, is it off the high street in Beckenham? Bit of a distance to expect Mr.Louisa to drive that's the only issue.

And yes I could ring them and ask, but I thought, you know, why do that when I can actually contribute to the forum and see if anyone else knows? But obviously, that's too much to ask. Let's just take the thread off topic and take turns dissing the ale selection and toilet facilities instead. Why not.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Never been to the Jolly Woodman, is it off the

> high street in Beckenham? Bit of a distance to

> expect Mr.Louisa to drive that's the only issue.

It's on the way to your beloved Bromley, Lou.