You know when gentrification has gone too far

TheArtfulDogger

It has little to do with gentrification and is quite common (at least I see those guys around a lot).

If not cleaned sometimes, some bins can kick off a vile smell as well as attracting swarms of flies. Particularly if the collections are not as frequent as they might be.

If you're looking for 'gentrified' bins, Artful, the ones outside the Co-0p and Si Mangia on Forest Hill Road were rather artistically painted in floral designs and colours last summer to make them more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I doubt it has stopped them giving off a vile stench but ooh they do look much nicer now.

I'm with AqM on this one. Marigolds, bleach, soapy hot water. Tip bin on its side and attack it with a scrubber. The only time I would suggest calling in some sort of cleaning service is if you're elderly and/or ill and not in a position to do it yourself (or CBA). Anyone else that doesn't do it has more money than sense!

Louisa.

I think these firms provide a great service. Last year, a thoughtful dog owner decided our wheelie bin was a great place to dispose of dog excrement. The bag must have split as we had to put up with a terrible smell in our front garden. To be honest, I wasn't too keen on scrubbing that out during my all too brief free time at the weekend and was extremely grateful to the wheelie bin cleaners (Enviro-Solve on 020 3376 7421) that came and did an excellent job.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Easily cleaned if you use a broom, soap

> /disinfectant/ Jeyes fluid and a hose

>

> Definately use the green bags to dispose of waste

> - ask Southwark if you don't have any - to keep

> flies and maggots (eugh) at bay.

Just to say Southwark Council is no longer giving out free green waste bags - budget cuts I'm told. You need to buy your own now

I am genuinely surprise people pay someone to rinse out their bin. Seems like such a small job, but each to their own I guess. They are quite large bins so if you're old or frail I can see it may be difficult, but then again would hope a neighbour might help you with it.

Sorry, but the job required more than a simple rinse out. I don't have any pressure hose equipment, nor the inclination to scrub away at dog poo on my Saturday afternoon.

The quote was inexpensive so made perfect sense to me, but each to their own.

I think if I had bins that were starting to smell a bit high, I'd probably spend the ?20 to save myself the bother. It's not like you'd be doing it every month, once or twice a year probably enough for a "deep clean".

One thing I like about living on an estate as I now do, is that they have several of those big metal skip bins, so you just chuck everything in there and forget about it. Only downside is that although I chuck recycling stuff in the one marked for recycling, I suspect others don't bother so most of my beer cans probably end up in landfill.

I'm sure the chap on this week's Kevin McCloud Wild Places, or whatever it's called, had made his money doing just this, so it's clearly a) not new and b) in demand. My mum couldn't clean out her wheelie bin by herself, she may well feel it's not something to ask the neighbours ( and neither my sister or I are local) and as she's not destitute it's simply easier to pay someone to do it for her. You may as well say that paying a window cleaner is a sign of gentrification, or using a car wash, or...or...or...

Are you joking AqM?

When I was a kid we were poor, I am not exaggerating. We were lucky because my mum had inherited out house from her mum, but we were pretty poor.

But we had the window cleaner round.