Why do businesses fail in ED?

Alan Medic

I can think of a few but not many by name. There's the pizza place preceded by the veggie Indian. The Cherry Tree pub,Green & Blue, the little gift type shop opposite and down a bit from the GE. There are many others I'm sure. The Patch?

What I'm curious about is who invests so much money in something that fails so quickly? Unless you have money to burn you must surely think about what you are doing. It seems many don't. Who are these people and why do they think they will succeed, as surely they must?

Just a thought, but I reckon the minds of the forum would be able to come up with a business model in ED that would last,if not the money for it.

Another the Greek place on Melbourne Grove = crap food

Some locations also just need a big effort - i.e. the magnolia/patch spot

Adventure Bar and Boho were just sh1t chains for the demog round here

Sadly the restaurant business is hard one to be in.

Discussed this at length before with friends in the business and the following quote taken from http://www.restaurantowner.com/public/Restaurant-Failure-Rates-Recounted-Where-Do-They-Get-Those-Numbers.cfm may provide a better insight.

"Several years ago, researchers at Cornell University and Michigan State University conducted a study of restaurants in three local markets over a 10-year period. They concluded the following: After the first year 27% of restaurant startups failed; after three years, 50% of those restaurants were no longer in business; and after five years 60% had gone south. At the end of 10 years, 70% of the restaurants that had opened for business a decade before had failed."

The truth is any new business has the capacity to either succeed or fail and it's often not one thing or the other that makes the difference.

It's sad to see someone's hopes and dreams vanish when their business fails but for every failure there is often a great success story at a different startup.

I have it on good authority that Green and Blue went because the rents just became unworkable.

And they were not helped by their neighbours doing dodgy work without permission which resulted on sewage flowing in to Green and Blue, which the neighbours refused to sort out.

G&B were thier own worst enemy. I know they tried, but too many directional changes, along with a mardy front of house guy

Toasted have made a much better go at the space

That aside, how long would the Fat Greek place have lasted without the forum. I know they hung themselves with some fairly dodgy own goal postings. But, it would have possibly have dragged on for a fair while longer I reckon