Couples Taking to the Street, En Famille...

maxxi

A few words of advice handed down through the generations to make life a little easier for young couples starting along life's pitted pavements...

1. Don't match. It only takes a moment's check in a mirror before leaving home and whilst his 'n hers sunglasses, sandals and bandanas or tops in exactly the same shade of mauve or things-you-bought-at-the-same-stall-on-holiday-but-have-not-had-a-chance-to-wear-until-now may seem innocuous, they can be as fingernails down a blackboard to the more sensitive denizens of the burgh. And if you find you are both wearing the same brand of camo-cargo shorts, toss a coin to see who gets to sport a skirt or colourful sarong.

2. If you are a more old-school/traditional (let's not be perjorative) family unit and Mummy is the hands-on practical sprog-wrangler with Daddy a ham-fisted office drone blinking in wonder at the sunlight; make sure he has a lesson or two with your chosen baby-carriage before expecting him to slalom through the crowds. Also - give him a clue as to the day's itinerary to minimise the meandering and the anxious peering from twixt Ray Bans and Jipi-Japa Hat accompanied by the plaintive "Er, where are we going now darling?"

3. If your kidlets are too big for the chair and you set them on scooters to cut down on the bored whining it goes without saying you should NEVER accompany them on a similar vehicle, nor wobble clumsily after them on a bike smiling apologetically at the snarling pedestrians you incommode; and though tying a bungee to each may be impractical, and a smack 'round the ear with a stream of loud invective may give you uncomfortable childhood flashbacks, a gentle nudge as the fly along will leave themn with grazed knees and a healthy respect for the speed limit on Britains highways. There is, of course, the potential for more serious injury but no one said parenting was easy.

4. Finally if you meet your own kind on a narrowed section of the veld, pull over line-astern - like caravanners in a lay-by - rather than stop-up the progress of your fellows. It makes for a more awkward chatting position but avoids the 'accidental' elbow in the kidney and scrape down the heel.

10 out of 10 for such a useful guide to parents.

Point 4 is especially a keen one to note. Can I add

6. Stopping suddenly to chat or take a phone call should be accompanied by a quick glance over the shoulder first to make sure you won't be bulldozed down by the pedestrians behind you who can't mentally read your intentions of blocking the through fair.

No. 4 is really annoying, as it often occurs with mothers and buggies on LL pavements. They are not wide enough to have a pram meeting. It seems to be expected for anyone else to step off the kerb to go round them.

I was outside Franklins the other night. I counted five buggies blocking up the pavement at 7.30pm.

Don't get me wrong I don't dislike children I just don't want them running around while I'm trying to have drink with some friends.

This tune is for any of the locals who let their nippers run around like mad things unsupervised.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was outside Franklins the other night. I counted five buggies blocking up the pavement at 7.30pm.

If a kid is young enough to need a buggy, they should be in bed - or at very least in the preparation stages - by then! IMO daytime in restaurants (and certain pubs) is fair game, but evenings are for grown-ups.

maxxi Wrote:

> Don't match.

On a recent(ish) trip to Seoul, it became apparent that matching couples is actually a "thing" in Korea. Often for "trendy" young couples, but sometimes even whole families. It is absolutely sickening.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I was outside Franklins the other night. I

> counted five buggies blocking up the pavement at

> 7.30pm.

>

> If a kid is young enough to need a buggy, they

> should be in bed - or at very least in the

> preparation stages - by then! IMO daytime in

> restaurants (and certain pubs) is fair game, but

> evenings are for grown-ups.

Exactly right.

Jeez, it's hard enough looking after a young kid / kids. Maybe in their exhausted, sleep deprived, stressed out state, some mums are not always as mindful of their surroundings as they might otherwise be. If you're out, without kids it's probably nicer for you to just give way a little, even if it's strictly your rightif way, rather than 'accidently' elbow them.

I suspect maxxi wasn't being entirely serious about the elbow thing.

Sorry rahrahrah, but you're being too kind.

This morning I was walking to the bus stop with my daughter on my shoulders. Two women walking towards me pushing buggies side by side on the pavement, heads towards each other, deep in conversation. I had to step off the pavement in to the road (with my child on my shoulders) to get out of their way. Neither of them acknowledged me, and truth be known I doubt either of them even noticed me.

Is that typical of every parent? No, of course not.

But

Are there quite a few people like that out there? Yes. And they are selfish tw@ts

Otta Wrote:

> I suspect maxxi wasn't being entirely serious

> about the elbow thing.

>

> Sorry rahrahrah, but you're being too kind.

>

> This morning I was walking to the bus stop with my

> daughter on my shoulders. Two women walking

> towards me pushing buggies side by side on the

> pavement, heads towards each other, deep in

> conversation. I had to step off the pavement in to

> the road (with my child on my shoulders) to get

> out of their way. Neither of them acknowledged me,

> and truth be known I doubt either of them even

> noticed me.

>

> Is that typical of every parent? No, of course

> not.

>

> But

>

> Are there quite a few people like that out there?

> Yes. And they are selfish tw@ts

Also get this a LOT! I try to keep my (still young) kids on the pavement. Or just stand still and wait for the side-by-side buggies to sort themselves out round me - is that passive aggressive or zen??? Can't decide but works a treat and saves my mood from deteriorating badly....

HP

You're probably right Otta, I just remember how hard everything was with a baby and how many disapproving looks I seemed to get when my baby was crying, or I couldnt quiet manoeuvre the buggy properly. It can be quite lonely being a parent for the first time and people can be quite intolerant. Of course, if someone's being a dick, they're being a dick, but generally young mums just seem like such an easy (and often aimed for) target.

The buggy brigade outside Franklins weren't just young mums they were young dads too. I think one of them was showing off a new born to their friends (fair enough) but blocking up the whole pavement and at 7.30pm was annoying for everyone else trying enjoy a drink.

To be fair, if it wad a newborn that blows the bedtime argument out of the water. Newborns decide when you sleep, not the other way around.

I never used a buggy when my girls were tiny, I was all about the sling.

I understand that new borns sleep when they want and on reflection that were probably wetting the baby's head so to speak and good luck to 'em. I love little babies and all of the joy they bring, just don't want them down the pub while the rest of their friends block up the pavement with the buggies. And for what it's worth the sling maybe so 'new dad' but they're also far more practical aren't they?

Well yeah, you have use of both hands and little baby feels snug and secure.

That said, in the heat we've had this last week, possibly not so good.

You've always been a soppy sod around my kids, especially our pink and blue hooligan.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Well yeah, you have use of both hands

>

>

> pint, fag.

Exactly. That's what I meant by practical.

I took my two out the other night to a LL restaurant about 8pm - both 8 month olds.

You feed them, put them in the buggy, they sleep quietly, you have a quick dinner then go home. If they cry enough to disturb anyone closely I'll pick them up and they stop, or if they don't I'll take them outside.

On the pavement home, I'll stop and let people pass. Basic consideration.

It's not really that hard!

Agree about pubs though. My missus doesn't quite see it the same way for the some of the "cross over" boozers but pubs after 7-ish are surely for adults - plenty of time in the day for a family visit.