Cyclism and Elephant & Castle

Concerned motorist

Hello Forum,

I'm planning to cycle back home to ED from Fleet Street today. I took the bike in on the train, but fancy a longer ride this afternoon.

Does anyone know of an easy way to avoid the Elephant roundabout? I'm not keen on tackling it until I get a few more central London cycling miles under my belt.

hello

i think if you follow the blue routes they take you on a diversion round the roundabout - a slightly longer route but misses the roundabout completely. sorry i can't tell you the route, i have only done it once with an instructor about 8 months ago so cannot remember it exactly

also citymapper gives you options for busy/quiet/fast so that may give you a route avoiding the roundabout too

There is a cycling bypass around the whole of E&C, so you need never use the actual roundabout. It's marginally slower, but much much safer. See if this link works http://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_4127136.html have tried to show the route round the northern bypass from St George's Circus down to Burgess Park where you can then head through the park - canal route - peckham to ED or onto Southampton Way. At New Kent road, you crossover at lights and onto cycle path on pavement.

Let me know if you can't see the link and I'll try and explain.

Yep, CS7 takes you from Queen Street in the City, and circles round the roundabout.

If you then go straight on to Hampton street after passing St Mary's church yard, you can follow another cycle route down Heygate street, which is usually quiet and stress free.

That then brings you to Burgess park, which is lovely to cycle through, before getting on to the Surrey Linear Canal path down to Rye Lane.

All the way to Peckham with barely any traffic.

Blackfriars Bridge, Southwark St, Grt Suffolk St, Trinity Church Sq, Harper Road, hop off your bike and cross New Kent Road, Rodney Place, Rodney Road, Thru the alley by the crossing, Brandon St, Portland St, Wells Way and so on. Did it every day, really quick and quiet.

Albert Fegg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Blackfriars Bridge, Southwark St, Grt Suffolk St,

> Trinity Church Sq, Harper Road, hop off your bike

> and cross New Kent Road, Rodney Place, Rodney

> Road, Thru the alley by the crossing, Brandon St,

> Portland St, Wells Way and so on. Did it every

> day, really quick and quiet.

That's pretty much my daily commute, except I turn off Wells way and cycle through the park, down the old surrey canal path and onto Rye Lane - from Fleet Street its about 35mins (for me - suspect others do it quicker!).