neighbours fence

L16579

Does anyone know how to identify which fence (i.e. left/right) belongs to a property? Southwark council own the neighbouring property and the tenants have taken it upon themselves to remove the ivy that was holding the old fence together. I am just trying to work out who's responsibility it is - any advice greatly appreciated.

My deeds don't say anything about this either.

I've always just split any cost with the relevant neighbours.

In one case where they wanted to replace an old wall with a fence rather than repairing the wall, I paid the extra cost of repairing the wall (ie the neighbours paid half of what the fence would have cost, and I paid the rest).

minder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> L1, you say that the people living next door to

> you have removed some ivy from their fence i.e

> taken it upon themselves.

>

> So why didn't you?

If the ivy was holding the fence together, as the OP says, then I guess removing it has caused the fence to fall down?

Thanks all. I should have been clearer in the original post, next door have removed the ivy and now the fence is falling down. They have no intention of replacing the fence. On closer inspection the front(neat side) of the fence faces their garden which suggests it belongs to that property.

I am really trying to establish if the fence is southwark's responsibility and how likely they are to replace it. I will probably just end up paying for the replacement but feels as though the neighbours have forced me into it.

If the deeds are silent in terms of words setting out what the boundary responsibilities are - is the land registered at the land registry? If so, there may well be a plan filed with T-marks showing who has responsibility for which boundaries. Most plans can be ordered online.

*Bob* Wrote:

> The old myth; cause of many a dispute

Agree, our house is a case in point. We are responsible for all the boundaries as our house is build on one half of a split of a single property, and the neighbour decided they wanted as little responsibility for boundaries as possible (which is fair enough!)

L16579 Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- They have no

> intention of replacing the fence. On closer

> inspection the front(neat side) of the fence faces

> their garden which suggests it belongs to that

> property.

No, it suggests the opposite. When someone constructs a fence, they work from their own garden. So, the fenceposts are in the garden of the fence owner and the neat side faces the neighbour.

kiera Wrote:

> No, it suggests the opposite. When someone

> constructs a fence, they work from their own

> garden. So, the fenceposts are in the garden of

> the fence owner and the neat side faces the

> neighbour.

Depends what sort of fence it is though, doesn't it?

I've always understood it was accepted practice to put the good side to your neighbour, and I'm pretty sure it is a requirement if your neighbour is the public highway.

If you have the sort of fence where the panels are on one side of the post, then by putting the good side towards your neighbour you get a couple of inches of extra garden

It's basically individual, depending on previous history.

On my left the guy built a brick wall and left the 'rough' side for me

On my right the neighbour put up a chain-link fence (his side of the posts), which I several years later re-covered with fence panels (my side of the posts, good side for me).