Floorboards question

miga

Howdie. So, we're getting someone to put some rockwool under our boards, then polish them up. He said that he won't need to lift all of them up, but only every other couple (if that makes sense), to slide the rockwool on battons he'll place underneath. Does that make sense?

I'm loath to make a recommendation until after the job is done well, I'll PM you the guy's name in the meantime. We've ended up bringing someone in to do it, although I initially wanted to just hire the sander from that place in Catford. I didn't trust my DIY skills to do the insulation though.

insulated under my kitchen floor but took all boarding off / entire floor up and used solid insulation (which has worked a treat). I nailed batons across the underneath of existing joists and laid the cut insulation across these batons and between the joists after cutting it to correct width. Filled-in any gaps with expanding foam.

From an OCD perspective, I don't see how you can guarantee EVERY gap will be insulated if you do the job without taking up the entire floor, but I'm no expert so perhaps clever people do know a way. For me I wanted no question about coverage and no cold spots.

Taking up every few boards and laying rockwool seems reasonable to me... it doesn't need to be airtight!

Like when you put on a coat on a cold day... it might be warmer if you were in a sealed spacesuit from head to toe, but it still does the job.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> insulated under my kitchen floor but took all

> boarding off / entire floor up and used solid

> insulation (which has worked a treat). I nailed

> batons across the underneath of existing joists

> and laid the cut insulation across these batons

> and between the joists after cutting it to correct

> width. Filled-in any gaps with expanding foam.

> From an OCD perspective, I don't see how you can

> guarantee EVERY gap will be insulated if you do

> the job without taking up the entire floor, but

> I'm no expert so perhaps clever people do know a

> way. For me I wanted no question about coverage

> and no cold spots.

KK I need to speak to you about my living room floor :)