Am I expecting too much from cleaner?

Weathergirl

I pay ?35 a week for a cleaner. For that, she cleans my house from top to bottom (3 bedrooms used all the time, plus two bedrooms in a loft conversion which just need a light dusting/hoover every couple of weeks). Two bathrooms get a proper clean, bed linen in the master bedroom changed, and five shirts ironed. That's done in 3.5 hours. I'm fussy, and I think they do a really good job - so no, you're not expecting too much!

Did you agree an hourly rate in advance? I think you need to somehow have a review and tell her roughly what you expect her to cover, it sounds as though you didn't start off on the right foot! Good luck

I've told my other half he can pay me the ?35 and I'll do it.

When she started I asked how many hours she did and she stressed that she didn't work by the hour, she worked until the job was finished. Which I'd be more than happy with if she'd only clean the bath before she sped out the door.

I'm feeling a tad like I'm being taken for a ride. She only does the stuff I already do and I kinda wanted a cleaner to do the stuff I hate doing.

I think our time may be up.

You are being taken for a ride. You should be getting 3 hours of work for that much.

Also, a one bed flat only needs an hour or two a week for a very deep clean.

I have a 4 bed house and pay that much and to be honest, our cleaner finishes in 2.5 hours rather than the agreed 3 unless I tell her to do something beyond the norm.

Get a new cleaner. I wouldn't even bother having a word with her as if you can't trust your cleaner, you really don't want them in your house.

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Get a new cleaner. I wouldn't even bother having

> a word with her as if you can't trust your

> cleaner, you really don't want them in your house.

Agreed. The thought of a pissed-off cleaner let loose in your house doesn't bear thinking about.

Quick answer, no I don't. That sounds outragous.

But speaking as a cleaner I think you got off on the wrong track. Firstly "paying by the job" is almost unheard and should probably have raised concerns since it could indicate a desire to cram as many jobs as possible into a day by cutting corners to do so. I also think it's very important to establish what you need doing at the outset. Don't worry about sounding over particular. Cleaners would rather work to a clear brief. Of course even then there may be misunderstandings if so point them out immediately and a good cleaner should amend their schedule happily. As with most things open communication is key. You mention you wanted a cleaner to do the jobs you hate, why not make a list of them all then when you hire your next cleaner discuss them and decide on how to incorporate them into a schedule. Somethings can be done less frequently than others.

Other points to note, always check references, and lastly agree a trial period at the outset. A months trial is probably a good measure as it will give you a more rounded picture of your cleaner.

Beverley

I'm getting too much from our cleaners. They are lovely young Brazilian women but pad around our house (a family home) in hot pants and revealing vests. All this for ?11 per hour when i'd much rather pay less and see less.

Also for some reason I'm not allowed to work from home on Wednesday's anymore.

MrBen, sounds like you're getting a bargain, but perhaps a slightly different kind of service.

Beverley, you speak much sense, thank you. I have only once left her a list, when I realised I wasn't getting much value for money, and she did do some of it, but I haven't left a list since so she's not bothered.

I just assumed that perhaps she may use her own initiative and clean some stuff that was dirty without being asked.

She came via a friend of mine who has a 3 bed house, so I presume she gets more bang for her buck as we pay the same price.

Maybe I'll start saving for a self cleaning house, they exist, right?

Mr Ben reminded me of a brilliant radio 4 play. Client was a widowed councillor with a boring old faithful cleaner of many years. Sacked her in favour of a nudey nasty druggie cleaner. Nudey cleaner didn't do any cleaning and started blackmailing him. Client got in a tizzy and old faithful cleaner found out, by accident they killed nudey cleaner and she helped dispose of nudey. Order was restored. Councillor had clean shirts, polished silver and a pot roast etc !!!