internet and tv package (dull but would value your opinion)

embo71

Hello,

Firstly can anyone recommend an internet provider?? I have been looking at Talktalk, i live just off the Rye - peckham end.

Secondly would you advise getting a Tv package along with the internet or a stand alone recorder box thing? I dont watch much TV but would like to record the occasional programme - all freeview nothing satellite.

Thanks for any opinions.

Em

I have found Plusnet generally good, and their customer service is excellent. They are also relatively inexpensive.

I also don't watch much TV and only have Freeview, so if you don't want any more than that I can't see much point in paying for a TV package.

I have a Topfield box which my daughter gave me when she moved and had to change to satellite, and I find that quite adequate for recording stuff. It will record two programmes at a time and you can watch a third channel while it's doing that if you want.

ETA: You might well be able to get something secondhand free or very cheap from somebody who is upgrading.

If you only want Freeview and recording then just buy a Freeview recorder and don't bother with Broadband TV packages.

You can buy a basic Freeview recorder for around ?35 from Argos or a more refined model for ?120 or so from John Lewis.

PlusNet very good.

I have relatives with TalkTalk TV and it's incredibly unwieldy and expensive for what it is. Only worth it if you want non-Freeview channels or Sky/BT sport.

If your TV has an HDMI socket, would recommend a ROKU stick which streams TV from the internet. Able to chose apps for many channels (mostly obscure!) but includes ones for the main catch up channels BBC iplayer, ITV player, 4OD, Five and the Google one which downloads paid for films and TV programmes. Also Netflix and NOW-tv which require subscriptions. I've found that since I've been using ROKU I'm recording far fewer programmes.