Bike repair at Balfes and Evans

GroveLaneMan

Took my bike to Balfe's bikes on Sunday for a simple repair . They said no prob come back in half an hour . I did , only to be told they couldn't do it because they didn't stock the tyre . Ok , so half an hour wasted . I'm on their database but no phonecall or anything.They then suggested I take the bike " down the road " . " Evans " I said ....." Yeah " they said . Ok , so I took the bike to Balfes deliberately so I wouldn't have to give my cash to a big company and support something more local . They were nonplussed. So off to Evans I went . Same story . Except they stripped the bike before telling me they didn't have a tyre that size . I mean it's not like I was on a quadbike or anything. Who were able to help me ? Quickly and efficiently ? Yup , you guessed it . ...Edwardes in Camberwell ! GO EDWARDES .

Hi GroveLaneMan, we do normally sell your size tyre but sold a few that weekend already. We never advise people to go down to Evans unless it is in their best interests to, i.e to get them on the road quickly and fortunately we rarely have to do it! Before that however we did offer to have a tyre delivered for Tuesday but we appreciate that that could hold you up for a few days.

We probably do have you on our database but on Sunday neglected to take your name, so on this occasion we didn't book you on the system, so couldn't call you. That's our fault, sorry.

Your right it isn't a quad bike but neither is it a common tyre size so if we have a run on those tyres we shall run out...but sometimes we can sit on them for weeks. So it is a tough one to judge how many to keep in stock but I shall up out minimum stock levels.

I am sorry you didn't feel like you received good service from us, I'm glad Edwardes were able to help you, they are good guys.

Kindest, Richard Balfe.

I went to Evans to get a bolt for my saddle, they told me it wasn't a common bolt and either I could go online and order from the manufacturer or buy a new stem that the saddle attaches to. I then crossed over and went into Balfe's who provided the bolt within a minute. Job done, I know nothing about fixing bikes and was ready to buy a whole new part, Balfe's saved me the expense.

Yes I do live in Camberwell Red Devil but at the Dog Kennel Hill end . I was frustrated with Balfe's service because they provided my tyres in the first place and I suppose I disagree with the fact that my tyres are SO rare . I also think it's right to MOAN on a public forum when issues of service and quality are concerned. I was just disappointed thats all . When a bike shop offers a 30 minute while u wait service and sends you off and then can't do it wouldn't u be a tad annoyed . I've spent a lot of money in there over the years . But thanks Richard for the response