Zig Zag lines??

apbremer

I know not strictly ED.

For many years one could park happily and safely in the large layby just South of the Old College Gate of Dulwich Park. I cannot recall when zig zag lines were recently(?)installed but now parking tickets are seemingly distributed like the leaves of Autumn. The lines are a complete anomaly as they have no effect whatever on the safety issues of the nearby zebra crossing. In fact, why are zig zags ever installed AFTER crossings anyway~seems pointless?

Have any wicked parking criminals appealed successfully?

I've never seen a crossing without them? They've been around since the 1960s.

They're there to improve visibility at crossings - otherwise you'd be peering out from behind parked cars and oncoming cars would have trouble seeing you.

Not allowed to park on them...suprisingly I very rarely see vehicles ignoring that rule.

Consider yourself lucky as Police can issue 3 penalty points and ?100 fine!

• 5 months later...

Has anyone taken it up with Southwark Council or the Counsellors/MPs ? I saw more tickets being distributed today.

This appears to be one of Southwak councils dirty little money making machines. They should make it much more obvious as they know countless people park there, it is really dishonest and underhand of them just to keep fining people.

There is no good reason why there are zig zag lines in this apparent parking area. It is all very unattractive Southwark!

I am going to complain, please do too.

To me that looks like a layby with no parking restrictions. What is painted on the highway has nothing to do with it. Southwark would have to have specific and clearly dispalyed parking restrictions in place for the layby itself imo. There's definitely a case here for a challenge I think.

Are Southwark saying that the zigzags in the middle of the road mean that the parking to the side is prohibited? In that case, you definitely have grounds for a challenge, as the marking are not, as I read it, in line with the legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997/2400/schedule/4/made

I would say the lines would have to be as per diagram 3 or 6, depending on how you view that central reservation. In either case, there seems to be a requirement for lines at the edge of the carriageway, which that photos suggest none exist.

I was fined for parking here a couple of momths ago. I have parked there for years and didn't relate the new lines to the crossing at all. My car back wheels were not on the zog zag. I didnt challenge it and paid up- but i didnt get any points either which you would usually gey fromparking on a crossing. So i think a money making machine rather than a visibility issue.

Just drafted complain below based on what is said above

If you have a second, do copy and send one as well !!!!!

To [email protected] and cc Dulwich Community counsellor

Work: [email protected]

Dear Council,

On multiple occasions I have noticed parking tickets being handed to unfortunate drivers who parked in the large layby just South of the Old College Gate of Dulwich Park. Finally I have decided to complain about this Southwark money making trick and have support of many drivers.

Whilst the layby looks like an apparent parking bay and is not part of the highway, there are in fact zig zag lines on it which are not noticeable and no other signs about parking restrictions.

The zig zag lines have been installed only a few years ago and are a complete anomaly as have no effect on the safety issues of the nearby zebra crossing to Dulwich Picture Gallery in this quiet street with little traffic.

Southwark would either have to have specific and clearly displayed parking restrictions in place for the layby itself, or remove the zig zag lines and stop fining unsuspecting drivers some but not all of who do challenge the parking tickets on the grounds of unclear markings not entire in line with the regulations http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997/2400/schedule/4/made.

Kind regards

Loz, it is s good suggestion

Yet, it appears everyone know what to do but nobody takes action

I am not looking for advice but for support by action

I happen to have contacts of Peckham Peculiar so forwarded the complain to

[email protected]

If you can get in touch with other local papers that would be much appreciated

An update - received an acknowledgement from Southwark that my complaint was reviewed and they are looking into it

Also Peckham Peculuar's co-editor responded:

Hi

Many thanks for this - sounds like a great story for the Dulwich paper! We will be in touch soon.

Best wishes,

Kate

_

Kate White

Co-editor

they are in stage one of dealing with my complaint. If I have paid and other challenges have won, I think I should get my money back! Specially as, if I had known I wasn't allowed to park there, there were plenty of other parking choices at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Did these tickets start appearing when Southwark needed money when Government grants were reduced.

As far back as I can remember people always parked there and there were never any accidents.

Is it people people are more stupid than in the past and cannot see further than their phones or coffee cups so Southwark has to take action on their behalf to safeguard them?

Seagal78 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Here is a useless response I just received from

> Southwark technical support parking officer Sophie

> Clift.

>

> I forwarded to Dulwich Diverter and they will

> follow up on it next week.

I received exact same response this morning Seagal.can I have the link to Dulwich Diverter so I can forward mine too?

If Zig Zag lines indicate NO PARKING, then what are those bays for exactly?

If there's an issue with safety then fill the bays in, stop the issue at source

Even if Southwark have overlooked this, maybe they could give it the once over.