Police priorities? Teen son stopped again!

Huggers

This morning, just after leaving house for sixth form, and yes smoking a crafty fag, my 17 year old son was stopped by a passing speeding cop car which screeched to a halt, two policemen got out and asked him if he was smoking cannabis. he wasn't. But he has been a victim of knifepoint mugging twice in the last two years, the perps never caught. Priorities? What do the police want our young people to think of them? And do they really have time for this?

Oh i see, woman of Dulwich's point. Ah no cause and effect re mugging. it was me making a point about how perhaps its easier to randomly stop school children in case they have dope on them than actually go and catch muggers and burglars. I mean a patrol car on its way somewhere to else decides to randomly ask a boy who has just left his house,what he is up to.

You can't know where the patrol car was on it's way to.

I have absolutely nothing against a bit of weed, but to be fair it is EVERYWHERE these days. When I was a teenager you had a smoke in someone's house, but these days young guys are blatant about it so I don't actually blame the police.

I'm not saying the police don't have their faults, but I find this harsh.

It's always been like this - which isn't much comfort really. I wish I had a pound for every time my boys were stopped years ago. "Is that your bike? Where do you live? Where're you going?".

Every time I see a black kid on TV complaining about harassment, I start shouting "no, it's not your race, it's your age". All teenage boys are guilty of something in police eyes.

Mind you......

It certainly happened 20 yrs ago... "can I see that cigarette please"... not surprised it still happens now.

It's no big deal. After the cops have driven off you mutter "f-ck the pigs", and tell your mates about how the filth are always on your back. It's tough being a teenager.

As a teenager I was stopped on a few occasions usually on my way home from pubs in Camberwell, Peckham, etc. It was par for the course, the boys in blue thought lads of 18 , 19 were obviously up to no good. Having said that, I wouldn't want their job, it seems no matter what they do they are on a hiding to nothing. They seem to get accused either of being inactive and useless or heavy handed.

I remember my first trip to London to visit a friend in his first year of University. I was walking down a road near Archway, enigmatically smoking a roll-up and I crossed the road in a sort-of half-run because there was a car coming.

The car turned out to be a police car, which stopped, reversed back - "what's that in your hand, where have you been, where are you going.."

When I was around 15 there was a regular "party" in Blackheath at "the point" or "the dips" (one being Point Hill the other being part of the heath where there are lots of dips - clue in the name). Basically loads of kids (of the more long haired indie / rocky persuasion) from the likes of Aske's, JAGS (yep, even the posh birds), Blackheath High, Thomas Tallis would all converge and drink lots whilst trying to get off with someone.

Every week the police would turn up and try to move everyone on. Once or twice I remember it getting slightly nasty, but that was because a pissed up teenager would get in the face of the filth. For the most part they'd just say "come on, it's late and people are complaining about the noise" and we'd all grumble as we sloutched off.

Twas ever thus.

God they were fun nights.