Charlie Sheen is HIV positive is it in the public interest

Ridgley

Charlie Sheen, formerly the highest paid television actor in America, has confirmed that he is HIV positive.

The 50-year-old had been subjected to rumours about his health for months. But on Tuesday he went on live television to say that he had been diagnosed four years ago, does the public need to know I feel the partners he might have infected should have been told?

Of course the public doesn't need to know. It isn't in the public interest. It's just another showbiz story. He'd hushed the story up but was being blackmailed about it. When he realised he couldn't afford to continue to pay his blackmailers he goes public. Unfortunately, shit like this sells these days. People are obsessed with celebrity.

Very sad and of course nobody's business except those he has slept with and is sleeping with.

He was fired from 2.5 men in 2011 the same time he was diagnosed because his behavior was so out of control. It would make sense if the diagnosis is what triggered all of that.

It must be hard in these circumstances. I'm pretty sure you are meant to notify everyone you've slept with once you are diagnosed that could have been exposed (so lots of old lovers depending on how long they believe you've been ill and unaware). As a celebrity, doing that exposes you to all kinds of privacy / blackmail issues but equally its a serious public health issue not to.

I think it is in the public interest, directly for the thousands of women he has apparently slept with, they all now know to get themselves tested. Ditto the people they have slept with and anybody they may have been otherwise intimate with.

Also, it raises the profile of HIV. This does seem to have reduced in profile as it has moved from deadly to chronic in its perceived impact.

Charlie Sheen's behaviour to date would seem to signal an entirely selfish motive for the public announcement i.e. to stop being blackmailed by the prostitute he slept with after his HIV diagnosis, however the wider impact could be positive.

He is probably now bracing himself for a deluge of legal cases from his sexual partners post diagnosis, claiming physical and/or mental damage. I think Charlie may be seen in many more crap movies and reveal-all documentaries. He will need the cash.

On a brighter note, what (if any) are your favourite Charlie Sheen movies?

As a young'un I loved Young Guns, although his character was a bit of a cock and died pretty early on. And I loved Major League with a young Charlie and Wesley Snipes.

Of course the correct answer should be Platoon, but I never really liked war films.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> His dad was a better actor, his half brother too?

Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen are actually brothers (i.e. not half brothers). I think C.S. chose to take his Dad's stage surname, while E.E kept it real.

LondonMix Wrote:

> Very sad and of course nobody's business except

> those he has slept with and is sleeping with.

>

> He was fired from 2.5 men in 2011 the same time he

> was diagnosed because his behavior was so out of

> control. It would make sense if the diagnosis is

> what triggered all of that.

>

> It must be hard in these circumstances. I'm

> pretty sure you are meant to notify everyone

> you've slept with once you are diagnosed that

> could have been exposed (so lots of old lovers

> depending on how long they believe you've been ill

> and unaware). As a celebrity, doing that exposes

> you to all kinds of privacy / blackmail issues but

> equally its a serious public health issue not to.

Professionals would do the notifying I'd think.

Also Sheen saying no risk of transmission - I assume that's because he was on medication.

Heard conflicting arguments about that - i.e. undetectable positive = non infectious.

Is it just me that was brought up to assume everybody you sleep with is High Risk

- HepB and HepC as well as HIV - until proven otherwise

I'm pretty sure professionals cannot automatically inform current or previous partners. I think they encourage people to do so but you can't inform people about someone else's medical information without their permission in the U.S. It's completely illegal.

The CDC estimate 13 percent of people infected are unaware in the U.S. so yes I never assumed anyone was safe growing up. I came of age in the 90s though when the safe sex message was being trumpeted the loudest. In the U.S. 1 in 6 people have genital herpes so that tells you all you need to know about how stringently Americans practice safe sex. It's alarming!

LondonMix Wrote:

> That's right Jeremy. Charlie Sheen's real name is

> Carlos Estevez. He didn't mind capitalising off

> his dad's fame.

Maybe he thought his career would stand a better chance with an Anglocised name? I reckon back then in Hollywood some people still judged a book by the name on it's cover. That's still the case now on sexuality when it comes to A-listers...