Car advice pls

jollymummy

I wondered if any forumites drive a Skoda Octavia and, if so, could give any feedback on it? Hubby loves his cars and

We have just sold an SQ5 (which he loved probably more than me) and we need a car just for the next 12 months but he is resisting the Octavia.

We have number 3 baby on the way and I think the cabin space, boot volume, solid shape and good fuel economy are a good bet. Hubby is put off by the badge and is leaning towards a Honda CR-V mark 3.

Can anyone give advice on either or both? Cheers!!

How old is 'hubby' out of interest. I'm old enough to remember really crap Skoda's and that sticks somewhat

Losing the SQ5 probably hurts more than you'll really know, so the 'Ok I give in' Skoda acquisition might sting too much

I waited years to get a VW back, it's cool now but those longing years in the wilderness hurt

Kids eh!

Yeah the skoda badge is hard to live with for anyone who remembers the 70s/80s. But nevertheless I don't imagine the Honda CR-V is much of a driver's car.

Perhaps the Octavia might sound more appealing if you suggested the VRS model. Talk of fuel economy or "solid shape" are probably not going to do you any favours.

At least with the Honda you could bang on about 'great engineering' and all that

Thin offerings, but also without being too horrid, IF my partner called herself "jollymummy" and she called me "hubby" i'd worry that my identity was being flatlined (for better or worse)

So the car talk is really the last kick to "get in line darling" maybe

An observation that's all

Without use of a driveway or garage in South East London you'd be crazy spending too money on cars. For what its worth, my wife's family have had CRVs for years and currently have 2 or the MK3 models and love them. Second hand they are plentiful and good value for money. Since this and the Q5 are SUVs you might miss the ride height with the Octavia. They do a more rugged 4x4 version called the Scout which rides slightly higher. I believe there are two engine options, one of which is shared with the Golf GTI.

Really old skodas were brill including rallying, but lack of funding hit quality hard. We went round scrap yards looking for parts in the 1980s to find that the scrapped cars were newer than the one we were trying to fix.

VW of course saved the brand, sadly you are likely to find Skoda diesels will also have the cheat/defeat device that is fitted to the main VW brand, so you may wish to look at petrol varients

Thx for all your replies.

Huggers - where did you buy your recent Octavia from? Trade or private?

Have discovered the Honda does not give the option to deactivate the front pax air bag so we are ruling that vehicle out and I am now sat at the pc trying to locate an Octavia. Spoke to SG Smith in Croydon but they don't have anything at the moment.

Oh and 'hubby' is 38 and really not keen on anything beginning with a Skoda... even the VRS but I may have to be extra jolly to convince him :-)

We are moving out of the UK in December 2016 and think we probably let the Audi go too early but there was a lot of cash invested in it to risk losing a drop in value when the new shape comes out in March.

Any and all ideas welcome! Cheers