Trees to be cut down on One Tree Hill - Act now!

edborders

Southwark Council plan to cut down almost two dozen trees (and probably more) including oak trees (!) and drive a road up the side of One Tree Hill in Camberwell New Cemetery - right next to the One Tree Hill Nature Reserve.

Why? For 140 graves - less than 9 months of grave space. And when that is filled there will be a scar on the side of the hill the need to destroy more of the wild places - or potentially wild places - in the cemeteries.

The Diocese of Southwark, the Church of England can stop these plans as this is consecrated ground. The Church is consulting with the public. Save Southwark Woods is asking you to write the Church immediately. Deadline is Wednesday 25 November for receipt of objection to the council's plans.

Please write on paper and mail or deliver (no emails)

Mr. Paul Morris, Diocesan Registrar, The Diocese of Southwark, Minerva House, 5 Montague Close, London SE1 9BB and tell him that One Tree Hill is sacred ground and shouldn't be marred or scarred. There are places for burial elsewhere.

Watch this news report on ITV

We didn't tell them they were "veteran" trees and besides a few other minor points, it is all true.

Please go to http://www.savesouthwarkwoods.org.uk/object-now/4590876971 Save Southwark Woods Object page for more information.

And please act now to stop the scarring of One Tree Hill.

Lewis Schaffer

Local Person, Nunhead Resident, Tree Lover.

Surely they should cut down all but one of the trees on One Tree Hill?

Anyway, is the forum software able stop edborders from opening new threads, so he is forced to add to one big thread on the subject, rather than continually opening new threads on the same subject?

It's a cemetery - where they bury people. It got over-grown through neglect, now they are putting that right. There are loads of real 'wild' spaces and woods around the area, which are properly managed as woods, and 'wild' spaces. This is now being properly managed (at last) as a cemetery. Get over it.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surely they should cut down all but one of the

> trees on One Tree Hill?

>

> Anyway, is the forum software able stop edborders

> from opening new threads, so he is forced to add

> to one big thread on the subject, rather than

> continually opening new threads on the same

> subject?

Indeed.

I imagine he is hoping people will either not have read the other threads or will have forgotten them.

Can't see how software would be able to prevent this unless threads had exactly the same subject heading, unfortunately.

I think there was an error in making the thread names too specific. There should have been a more general name making it a specific thread instead of something general, like Southwark Burial Policy, or Turning the Cemeteries in Nature Reserves. Is there a way to change this?

My name is Lewis Schaffer I am a Nunhead resident. I am an American Citizen. You can google me.

Who, may I ask are you all?

What do you gain by seeing these trees cut down?

What do you gain by being so derisive to the people who want these places to be wild?

Why can't you tell us who you are?

A coward hides behind anonymity.

Anyway...

Destroying woods on One Tree Hill. Tomorrow November 25, is the deadline for asking the Church of England, Diocese of Southwark, to no approve Southwark Council plans to cut down woods on One Tree Hill in Camberwell Old Cemetery. Paper letters only. Mail them by last post today.

go to [www.savesouthwarkwoods.org.uk]

"My name is Lewis Schaffer I am a Nunhead resident. I am an American Citizen. You can google me.

What do you gain by being so derisive to the people who want these places to be wild?

A coward hides behind anonymity."

Lewis, you obviously haven't lived here long enough to learn some manners. Being a single issue fanatic is, I'm afraid, inherently impolite. Try some moderation, a bit of pragmatism, above all respect people's rights to quietly but firmly disagree with you. This is England, after all, where 'winning friends and influencing people' is still considered a bit vulgar. Nothing personal, obviously. I suggest a nice cup of tea, perhaps with a biscuit. You'll feel much better.

Although I disagree completely with Lewis Schaffer, I think attacking him for being an American is playing the man and not the ball. Apart from anything else, he's been here 15 years - I assume as a taxpayer - so he's as much entitled to an opinion as anyone.

"Although I disagree completely with Lewis Schaffer, I think attacking him for being an American is playing the man and not the ball. Apart from anything else, he's been here 15 years - I assume as a taxpayer - so he's as much entitled to an opinion as anyone."

I agree, especially on the electoral point. But when you post this:

"My name is Lewis Schaffer I am a Nunhead resident. I am an American Citizen. You can google me.

A coward hides behind anonymity."

you have to be prepared for a bit of personal flak, including for being a ghastly Yank who wants to know everybody's name, and doesn't understand (or want to understand) British attitudes to privacy.

Anyway, hopefully there will be no more new threads along the lines of "Save the trees now, Limeys!"

This has nothing to do with "privacy". This has to do with people thinking they can write what they want because their real names and addresses aren't visible.

To mention my place of birth is probably abusive (and illegal?) and you would never have said that to my face, and would never have written it if I were from any other country, or if your real names and addresses were made visible.

I think I know John Kennedy. I used to kill time with my baby son at Cherner Books (and bought a few books, too.) I don't remember anyone there who was horrible. They were lovely!

Maybe it takes someone from another place to notice the beauty in YOUR backyard.

"This has nothing to do with "privacy". This has to do with people thinking they can write what they want because their real names and addresses aren't visible.

To mention my place of birth is probably abusive (and illegal?) and you would never have said that to my face, and would never have written it if I were from any other country, or if your real names and addresses were made visible."

Calm down. Nobody has done anything illegal, or as far as I can see, abusive. You've made it clear that you're a US citizen, and some have made points about that which you may disagree with. The main point is that you seem to think that anybody disagreeing with you needs to state their name, and that not to do so is cowardly, inappropriate etc. On this, as on the substance of your argument, I (and it seems many others) think you are wrong. No personal disclosure is required to debate a point, and although there are many examples of online anonymity being abused I don't think this thread is one of them. Caring about trees does not make you special, or even right. About anything. Having other people say that about you maybe uncomfortable, but once you start a campaign you have to be ready for it.