Electric cookers

Bowenworks

Does anyone know whether you have to get an electrician to disconnect an electric cooker before moving, or whether removal companies are allowed to? I gather they won't usually reconnect at the other end. Starting to seem to cheaper to buy a new cooker!!! Any advice welcomed.

I am not a (qualified) Electrician.. but was a Power engineer when I worked for B.T.

At the consumer unit, the cooker will require its own fuse way. A 30amp fuseway can support an appliance of up to 7.2kw providing that the control unit does not also have a socket outlet. For higher powered appliances a 45amp fuse or greater is required. The control unit is then connected to the consumer unit by a radial circuit.

Normally there will be a box with red switch.. (depends on how old your installation is).

There will be a cable (No Plug) from the box to the back of the cooker.

If the cable is disconnected from the back of the cooker the wires will be live if the switch is on and the fuse

in the consumer unit is still in place.

If you remove the fuse and someone replaces it, the same problem will exist.

The cable needs to be disconnect at the box end. (after removing the fuse in the consumer unit)

You need to be able to test that the correct fuse has been removed and the circuit isolated..

As you are moving it is your responsibility that you leave the installation SAFE..

A genuine Electrician should not charge you much to do this job.

DulwichFox

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• Is Sadiq worried about voter apathy/protest votes? Just got another flyer through the door, it seems to be one every couple of weeks, suggesting the Tories are closer than any opinion poll suggests and that people should not vote for the Lib Dems or Greens.
    • I'm basing it on 20+ years cycling in London and seeing the absolute biggest rule-breakers being my fellow cyclists. I once stopped at a zebra crossing to let a man cross and a cyclist behind me called me a putain for stopping.  I've even witnessed a grown man aggressively ringing his bell and swearing at a four year old child for not getting out of his way.... on a footpath.... in Burgess Park.  I genuinely cannot remember the last time a cyclist stopped for me at a pedestrian crossing.  They give the rest of us cyclists and bad name and turn the traffic against us.   
    • Sorry to hear and glad you and hopefully bike OK and doesn't put you off cycling. Please do inform the police even if that sounds a waste of time.  Do consider going to the Motor Insurance Bureau, the slush fund set up by insurers for untraced/uninsured motorists.
    • Week 32 fixtures...   Saturday 20th April Luton Town v Brentford Sheffield United v Burnley Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal   Sunday 21st April Everton v Nottingham Forest Aston Villa v AFC Bournemouth Crystal Palace v West Ham United Fulham v Liverpool   Tuesday 23rd April Arsenal v Chelsea   Wednesday 24th April Wolverhampton Wanderers v AFC Bournemouth Crystal Palace v Newcastle United Everton v Liverpool Manchester United v Sheffield United   Thursday 25th April Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester City
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In