Changing Tyres - all 4 at once?

jacks09

The only 'rule' was that you needed the same type (i.e. cross-ply or radial) of tyre on each axle - although I think that different types may now be a thing of the past.

It may make sense to replace any tyre that is very close to needing it (as regards depth of tread, even if still 'legal') - particularly in the winter when grip is peculiarly important, but there is no need to make a general replacement of tyres (you wouldn't if one was e.g punctured, after all).

Remember to ensure that your spare, if your car is one of those that has one, is properly inflated in case you need to use it.

The tyres on each axle should have the same wear. All 4 tyres should be the same identical model.

Some people alternate the tyres from front to back and vice versa when the car is serviced in order to even out the wear.

I would not scrimp on tyres (or brakes) as, obviously, they are the only thing that connect the car to the road!

I use Event Tyres (no connection) - https://www.event-tyres.co.uk/

They provide a good (and v competitive) mobile fitting service.

Not always but you need to check with the manufacturer- some 4WD systems have a fine tolerance for differences in the rolling radius of the wheel - where a new tyre on the same diff as a well worn one can mash the 4WD diff system. if the A4 is 4WD, then you need to check this. I think quattro systems are OK with this however.

trizza Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The tyres on each axle should have the same wear.

> All 4 tyres should be the same identical model.

Only if you're a car enthusiast. There's no problem in having a mix of good quality tyres in good order, fitted by a competent garage.