Cremation or burial?

Alan Medic

Having read a thread about some trees being felled to make more room in a cemetery, I just wondered why people choose one over the other. You?re basically going to rot and unless you believe you will rise on the last day, have you though about the state you might be in.

When I was growing up there was no such thing as cremation as far as I know. Given it's an option it seems the best bet all round. Take up less space and one less plot to be forgotten about in time.

Any views on this?

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Having read a thread about some trees being felled

> to make more room in a cemetery, I just wondered

> why people choose one over the other. You?re

> basically going to rot and unless you believe you

> will rise on the last day, have you though about

> the state you might be in.

>

When I was growing up there was no such thing as

> cremation as far as I know. Given it's an option

> it seems the best bet all round. Take up less

> space and one less plot to be forgotten about in

> time.

>

> Any views on this?

Blimey, How old are you..

On 26 March 1885, the first official cremation in the UK took place in Woking. The deceased was Mrs Jeannette C. Pickersgill, whom The Times described as "a well-known figure in literary and scientific circles".

DulwichFox

I'd personally choose being left out in a black plastic sack for the bin men - but there are many people who psychologically or socially see ceremony and memorial as very important to them. Even the cremated can be then buried (as was always true - see excavations of Roman urns with ashes in them). Having somewhere to mourn (if that's your bag) is very important to some people - no reason not to choose something different for yourself, but I am against imposing my corpse disposal preferences on others. Hence my resistance to attempts to change an existing cemetery to a wilderness, when many people psychologically need cemeteries.

If you are a freeholder you can be interred in your own back garden in a cardboard box. However, don't go asking permission from the council because they will say no despite the fact they have no right to do so.

In shared freeholds neighbours' permissions are required and it is preferred that you do not take eternal sleep near a water main but otherwise you could be pushing up your own daisies

steveo Wrote:

> If you are a freeholder you can be interred in

> your own back garden in a cardboard box. However,

> don't go asking permission from the council

> because they will say no despite the fact they

> have no right to do so.

>

> In shared freeholds neighbours' permissions are

> required and it is preferred that you do not take

> eternal sleep near a water main but otherwise you

> could be pushing up your own daisies

If you're on the Dulwich Estate so you'll probably need a licence.

My supposed Victorian relative (there's no proof just family legend) Dr William Price, was responsible for the reintroduction of cremation http://www.llantrisant.net/price.htm in the UK with his rather eccentric actions following the death of his infant son er, Jesus Christ. Anyway it's quite an interesting story if you've got ten minutes to read it

Otta Wrote:

> The claustrophobe in me absolutely shudders at the

> idea of burial.

>

> But then the child who watched "diamonds are

> forever" in me is pretty freaked out by cremation

> too.

>

> But I doubt I'll really care.

I suspect you probably won't.