Attention all cat owners - Lilies

TTNutrition

Hello,

I just wanted to get the attention of any cat owners out there who may not realise how poisonous lilies are to cats. Lots of people know, but I now know that lots of people also don't have a clue.

We were sadly in the latter group, and devastatingly our little black cat passed away a couple of weeks ago due to eating just ONE lily petal (as far as we know). I really feel that more people need to know of the dangers. The whole of the plant, leaves, stamen, petals, the lot are highly, highly poisonous - and if ingested cause kidney failure, and in some cases, as with ours, death.

Also sending high praise to The Neighbourhood Vets who really did all they could, and provided such a high level of care and compassion during the difficult time. As did the emergency vets Elizabeth Street. They're also hopefully going to be putting up some posters around the surgery to spread awareness.

Please, if you have cats, do not have lilies in the house. This may be old news to a lot of people, but even if just one owner sees this and didn't realise, I"m happy!

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat and thank you for raising awareness. It's a reminder that cats like/need to chew grass, so, if they're kept indoors,it's a good idea to give them something which it's safe for them to chew, such as kitty grass or spider plants.