Save the Half moon

hernehiller

Dear all

I know this is an East dulwich Forum, but us Herne Hillers go out in Herne Hill a lot and I'm sure people in East Dulwich go out in Herne Hill too. I'm hoping that some of you will sign the petition to save the Half Moon pub.

The Half Moon has hosted live music since the 1950's, when Frank Sinatra dropped by after a London show to visit his old chauffeur and sing a number. Musicians who played here and went on to become famous include Eric Clapton, U2, Billy Bragg, The Police, and Paloma Faith. Celebrated comedians, including Mark Lamarr, Eddie Izzard and Jo Brand have also performed stand-up comedy here.

Just today we received word that we have got ACV (Access of community value) from the council meaning Dulwich estates have to consult about any proposed plans. To date they have wanted to get rid of the music venue at the back and do another pub/restaurant. Many of us in Herne Hill think this is a bad idea for such an iconic music/comedy venue.

Read all about it here. Apologies if this is already somewhere on the forum, but could not find it easily.

http://www.hernehill.org.uk/news/boris-johnson-save-half-moon-pub-herne-hill-se24-live-music-venue

Fick knows what Dulwich Estates is doing - oonverting an already successful pub into a hotel, closed down , albeit difficult to market, the Grove Tavern and this nonsense with the famous Half Moon.

Thanks for posting and please consider joining Camra who are already on the case. http://sel.camra.org.uk/

Sadly can't find the pictures of the pub crawl we did around closed pubs in the area in the Autumn.

Update on Facebook from Save The Half Moon:

"LATEST NEWS: We've had confirmation today from both Helen Hayes MP and Dulwich Society that The Dulwich Estate has confirmed that they have signed a lease on the Half Moon with pub operator Fuller Smith & Turner Plc (Fullers). According to Dulwich Society, 'It is hoped that the pub will re-open in the late summer of 2016'.

We will obviously continue to seek to stress the importance both of live music and of working with the local community as Fullers develop their plans. I will update everyone later this week on developments. The Distillers in Hammersmith is one example of a Fullers pub that hosts live music and open mic nights. Thanks again to everyone for your ongoing support. Happy to hear your views."

A guarded welcome for that. Fullers are good at exploiting the food angle in big pubs and I see no reason why music can't be part of the mix, as it is at The Distillers in Hammersmith.

Given what might have happened to the Half Moon, I think it might be better that it's with a chain with some clout rather than a smaller pubco that could be 'picked off' by residents' noise complaints etc. Fullers don't have the best pubs around - though they're not bad - but then again the Half Moon was never the best pub around apart from its music offering.

The pub for many years was not the greatest at all, like the Commercial, Florence and countless others in East Dulwich. But like those it had improved a lot and prior to the pub was a great venue both at the front and back. They were serving delicious pizzas and good beers at pretty decent prices. Fullers has form for keeping live music in their pubs, so we are hopeful. Compared to where we were a few months ago with the idea of another swanky boutique hotel or flats nobody could afford, progress has been made.

Just glad a pub where Frank Sinatra sang is being saved!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/half-moon-pub-set-to-reopen-three-years-after-it-was-closed-because-of-floods-a3149226.html

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A great music venue (the back room) but an utterly

> shite pub (the front 'thing').

Couldn't agree more!

Oh and Hello HonaloochieB, a fine thing to see a post form you.

EDOldie Wrote:

> Another big chain which is a bit disappointing.

> There are so many good smaller pub companies

> around these days,

There are some rubbish small ones too. At least you know where you stand with Fullers.

But the "news" that it will reopen as a pub isn't really news. It was always going to reopen in some form as a pub, just a quiet one with posh flats upstairs.

It's a positive development, but the whole point is that the venue aspect needs to be saved, and that seems no nearer really.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> A great music venue (the back room) but an utterly

> shite pub (the front 'thing').

>

> Unpleasant, uncomfortable and any old time I went

> there prior to going to see a 'pop' group up the

> back I never had a good time.

Welcome back but I really have to take umbrage with this statement. I agree many years ago it was a bit of a dump but once Jill O'Neill started managing the pub she completely turned it around and her team made the Half Moon a far more pleasant destination. And the pizzas were better than The Gowlett's.

Otta Wrote:

> Pizzas were good, I agree. But still totally with

> Hona when it comes to the pub (love Jill as I do).

> Would only ever go there if there was an event /

> gig. Never just for the pub.

Hmmm... so apart from the gig we did just how many times did you go there in the last five years it was open? And previous to that too?

Otta Wrote:

> EDOldie Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Another big chain which is a bit disappointing.

> > There are so many good smaller pub companies

> > around these days,

>

>

>

> There are some rubbish small ones too. At least

> you know where you stand with Fullers.

>

>

> But the "news" that it will reopen as a pub isn't

> really news. It was always going to reopen in some

> form as a pub, just a quiet one with posh flats

> upstairs.

>

> It's a positive development, but the whole point

> is that the venue aspect needs to be saved, and

> that seems no nearer really.

BTW the news that it will reopen as a pub is "news." Until we started the campaign to get the ACV notice there were real doubts about a pub, let alone the (small) potential of a music/comedy venue being saved at all. Dulwich Estates would have done their normal half-arsed attempt at something not suitable for the area and made a mess of it, while making as much money as possible.

Also people's opinions on pubs being good or not are dependant on the type of people who go. I personally think the Florence and Bishop are not very good at all, I could be stronger in my language, though for the purposes of this post I choose not to. Clearly lots of people disagree with me, as they seem to do very well. This post is about trying to keep a major part of our community in tact after a very turbulent time for all the businesses in Herne Hill (after the flood) so posting comments about it being "utterly shite" are a bit strong.