Goodbye Foxtons?

macroban

Hmm, anywhere that won't recruit graduates until they are ready to start work isn't going to get the cream of the graduates unless something has signifcantly changed since I was a student. By the time I graduated, only those in my year who had specialized in drinking hadn't got jobs lined up to go to.

Senior Lettings Valuer!? Oh, that'll be ?2000pw then and a degree in surfing. Lol, I'll stick with my profession in the city, but thanks.

Clearly you missed the 'Foxon's Documentary' that aired a couple of years ago to expose the sort of thing that goes on. What a joke!

"A good degree in any subject." - lol

I am wondering if there is anyone, who lives locally, who has ever been pleased about Foxton's being here. I certainly don't know anyone who has expressed pleasure at there being a Foxtons Dulwich. Some of my journalist colleagues have even lambasted the ED agency in their respective newspapers, for being such an 'eyesore' on Lordship Lane e.g. Janice Turner in The Times.

I agree it always looks woefully empty whenever I pass by - empty of punters, that is. There are certainly many ((((whispers))) posh boys out back, hammering away at their computers.

I've never seen many staff in there either. One or two on the front desk/reception and maybe another one or two on the funny looking desks.

There looks to be enough space for maybe 40 of them but no way has there ever been the need for that many.

C*nt-aquarium is perhaps a tad harsh but christ-on-a-bike did it have to be quite so monstrously large for such a low-demand business. And they wonder why they have financial troubles?!

Easy, try renting smaller premises and buying fewer interior furnishings.

David, I am assuming that the Foxton's powers-that-be presumed, wrongly as it happens, that big equals better. They hoped that such a flash approach would have a dynamic impact upon the area - but it hasn't.

Also the decor looks, in my opinion, ludicrous. The 'odd-trying to be modernist-but failing-dismally' chairs have always clashed horribly with the surrounding shops. The free-drinks-to-get-you-through-the-door stuff was never going to work either. It is all so superficial. Perhaps the Foxton's approach used to, and maybe still does, work in places like Clapham, Wandsworth, Notting Hill etc. but will the chain ever succeed around here? I somehow doubt it.

I reckon it's got something to do with their ?350 'admin' fee. People are finally beginning to realise they're being ripped off...well it stuck in my throat anyway! However, I did still find it extremely difficult to turn down as the lettings agent was quite a looker and whipping out all her best lines (amongst other things). If Carlsberg made lettings agents, they'd probably look a little bit like Foxtons...I do like their recruitment policy, especially in the ED branch! Not much else going for it other than that...

Perhaps the Foxton's approach used to, and maybe still does, work in places like Clapham, Wandsworth, Notting Hill etc. but will the chain ever succeed around here? I somehow doubt it.

What, because E. Dulwich is somehow special compared to everywhere else?

macroban - I think they typically make more than 2% commission. At least they used to. Even at a currently incomprehensible 4% commission, ?900k per week would still seem a 'little' aggressive in the current climate. I doubt they're making that as an entire branch.

Good news is that Halifax will be closing branches all over the UK though, so let's hope that horrid little place on LL disappears soon. Good riddance (and yes, I have a personal issue with a certain agent in that place).