The Boys of 66

Mick Mac

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Was on Sky HD tonight. Wonderful programme. What

> an achievement.

>

> Beating Argentina and then Portugal was fantastic.

> Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore were the heroes but

> Stiles was good enough to police Eusebio into

> submission in the SF.

Is police another term for kicking?

I was 8 when the 66 world cup was played and watched some of the games and I recall the Argentine captain Rattin being sent off and Alf Ramsey wouldn't allow the English players to exchange shirts as he called them "Animals" or words to that effect because of the nasty tactics used by the Argentinian side during that game. How times have changed eh?

I was also eight years old at the time. I'd been packed off to a relatives for a week because my mum was about to give birth to my younger brother who was born the day before we won the World Cup at Dulwich Hospital.

I watched the game at my cousin's grandmother's house in Hatfield. I remember being absolutely gutted that my hero Jimmy Greaves wasn't playing and kept looking out for him behind Sir Alf the trainer Harold Sheperdson on the bench. Assuming I don't get Alzheimer's it's a day I'll never forget.

I heard a debate on radio 5 last night about whether we should be honouring these players. I would certainly say yes - its a long tome ago but the gap and low achievements since then has made the achievements all the more poignant.

The home advantage thing is trotted out many times but it was pointed out in this programme that at the time, recent hosts had not fared well.

Favourites and best team in 70

Was the taking off of Bobby Charlton when the match was won 2-0 the catalyst for defeat?

Some shaky defending as the match progressed, soft goal back, but if Hurst had either a finer or thicker touch when he beat the onrushing goalie with a header that would have been all over at 3-1.

A hoof was all that was needed to clear before the equaliser. And then Labone should have finished it off for England in extra time with a free shot from a corner.

Played at a snails pace, and not helped by the Mexican crowd that were clearly supporting Germany.

Ah, what might have been.

malumbu Wrote:

> Favourites and best team in 70

>

> Was the taking off of Bobby Charlton when the

> match was won 2-0 the catalyst for defeat?

>

I have always thought that was a common misconception - Charlton was actually subbed immediately after the first Germany goal - probably as a direct result of the goal, which included Beckenbauer strolling through the midfield to score. see link for stats

http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/1970/qf_ger_v_eng.html

???? Wrote:

> Was in Rome for the Brazil game, my dad took me to

> the Hotel bar to watch it on a minute black and

> white TV with all the Italians supporting Brazil

> and one Canadian with us :)

This was my first memory of watching a match on TV, sat on the arm of my Dad's chair. It must've been a special occasion, he wore a shirt and tie :)

> Cried after the West Germany game :(

Me too. But 5 mins later I was outside in the road with my mates trying to replicate Muller's 'over the shoulder' goal :)...

I think musically and youth culturally people who hit there teenager years in the late 50s or early in the 6Os AND those that hit them in the early 70s are quite lucky. The first lot had all the excitement of the 6os; we had all the rejecting the 6os changes (and yes Bowie was VERY important)all the tribalism (which was great then), punk obviously, but were also young enough (just) for the Acieeed House explosion - which actually change things the most in my opinion. Funnily enough I always feel a bit sorry for the people who are about ten years older than me a bit too young for the proper 60s and the proper hippy stuff and then a bit too old for punk :)

Otta, you're an honorary us...apart from the rock thing :)