avoid Elephant and Castle/New Kent Road Area- road closure

Renata Hamvas

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This it what happens when you take away

> underground crossings. The works aren't even

> completed and already a needless death. Well done

> Southwark Planning.

Lorry driver arrested for dangerous driving. Again. But yes, let's blame it on Southwark Planning instead.

Maybe the councillor could clarify that?

Either way, to remove subways that ensured pedestrians didn't come into contact with traffic, and to remove the safe island crossings for cyclists, that meant they didn't have to (as they now do) navigate compacted vehicles and take a leap of faith to change lanes, are not decisions that can be defined as improving safety. Something does not make sense in the planning or design of this new layout. And sadly someone has now died.

The comments under the article I posted are rather interesting, particularly with regards to the forthcoming redevelopment of the area.

• 2 weeks later...

It's even worse now they are doing works by the shopping centre which has narrowed access to one lane - traffic backing up to beyond Bricklayers Arms, and this is half term week FFS.

Before I go on a tirade against TfL I'll wait to see the final outcome. Any delay to buses encourages people to switch back to their cars which of course defeats the whole purpose of the scheme. Cycle ride is longer and more dangerous. Ditto.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35026096