Roof "too low" for decent loft conversion, so...

Nigello

..how much would it be to raise the roof a full 7" (200mm) or so?

If anyone has had this dilemma, please let me know - via PM if you like.

(I have been told by an architect that the space is low, so the headroom is likely to be very low without raising the whole roof.)

This from the architect:

From examination of the existing loft space the height from top of ceiling joists to underside of the ridge member is only about 2350mm, to provide an adequate loft extension this height should ideally be a minimum of around 2500mm. This would enable the installation of a new loft floor (including beams), a ceiling height of 2300mm for a bedroom and a rear dormer roof. The planning ? permitted development guidelines require the dormer roof not to exceed the existing ridge height of the roof. If we could obtain planning permission to raise the roof line by about 200mm (this would require a complete new roof) it would help considerably on the height issue, however approval cannot be guaranteed.

I would speak to a builder, not an architect. The former will give you a realistic assessment, based on a 'pragmatic' interpretation of the rules (an architect will not). If you look at most of the lost conversions around SE22, they've all taken slightly liberal interpretations of what you're allowed to do with roof heights. Obviously you wouldn't want to do anything to incur the wrath of the local planners, but most builders find a few inches here and there and manage to make it work without taking outrageous liberties.

Obviously the higher the ceiling height, the better, but it's not uncommon to end up with a ceiling height less than the 2.3m your architect is suggesting. Unless the Building Regs have recently changed, there is no legal minimum ceiling height. However there is still a practical minimum height you should work to in loft conversions of at least 2.1m throughout (standard ceiling height elsewhere should be at least 2.4m). Ideally in rooms with sloping ceilings, at least 50% of the floor area should have a floor to ceiling height of at least 2.1m. I recently saw a rear dormer conversion where the ceiling height was only 2.05m because of existing parameters. I'm 6 foot plus, yes it felt lower than normal, but most loft conversions tend to have a 'quirky' feel to them anyway. If you can, you should try and view a loft conversion with a ceiling height lower than your architect is suggesting.

rahrahrah, I get where you're coming from, but unless you can find a builder that will guarantee at their expense, any remedial works needed to conform to Permitted Development or Planning Permission should the planners find out the builder has been too 'liberal' in their interpretation, then there is a large financial risk for the householder if they get 'found out'. Trust me, some planning officers can be real sticklers for regulations. By law an architect has to carry professional indemnity insurance, so therefore they can at least be sued for giving bad professional advice. With a builder you'll be lucky to get more than a shrug of the shoulders out of them if things go wrong...

Sounds like you are in a very similar position to where we found ourselves at during the initial stages of investigating loft conversion. We are now just about finished a loft conversion where we have lowered the ceilings on 1st floor. We lowered them between 15-20cm (as much as we could without interfering with the windows on 1st floor). We were told there was no chance of raising the ridge being accepted for planning...I have seen a number of houses where they have "Nudged" the ridge but you can only get about 5cm doing this. PM me if you want to ask any more questions.

Penguinpost, what height are you left with in the first floor rooms after lowering the ceilings and what impact has it had on the feel of those rooms? And what height have you achieved in the loft rooms? We too have a low pitch to our roof and had four companies round who all had different views on what we could do and what was best.

In the loft we have 2.2m (still need carpets fitted). It feels decently roomy above head height (I'm 6ft and husband is 6'3 so was v important to have decent height up there). On floor 1 we have really high cellings - guessing 2.8m (no way I could reach the ceiling even if I stand on a chair). Honestly you can't even notice the ceiling are lower.

We were given 3 options -

1. Classic said do without lowering ceilings on floor 1 and it would be fine (weren't convinced about that, they insisted it would be fine)

2. Someone else said to us to lower more than we had and the Windows on floor 1 would get in the way so we should have some weird step thing in the ceiling ( I HATED the sound of this and was no way going to do it)

3. Lower ceilings to the top of Windows (15-20cm) and take The height difference into the loft as a result

We did the 3rd option and I'm really happy with our choice. Yes it's messy (very) but I think worth it to get 2.2m in the loft.

Yes, lowering the ceilings is very common... should definitely be the first option to investigate.

Raising the roof height falls outside of permitted development, and I think you're very unlikely to get planning approved for it. However - some builders (naming no names) cheekily raise the roof apex by 5-10cm or so, assuming nobody will notice/complain. Depends how comfortable you are with bending the rules.