calling all film-lovers.......

cl

Through 'Ourscreen' I am trying to organise a showing of an amazing film called 'Meru' at the East Dulwich Picturehouse on Monday 22nd Feb at 2100hrs.

The film, which won an award at the Sundance film festival last year, is a documentary about a team of mountaineers attempting to climb Meru, an incredibly difficult mountain in the Indian Himalayas. Taken by them during their weeks of hardship on the mountain, it promises stunning Himalayan scenery, drama, and an amazing tale of human endurance and spirit. I for one can't wait to see it!

However, it will only show if enough people buy tickets for it - we only need 8 more to be bought - so please go to the link below and sign up - I PROMISE you it will be better than a dull wintry Monday night on the sofa in front of eastenders. (* in fact, if eastenders is a thing for you, you can see it anyway before coming to the film!*)

https://www.ourscreen.com/screening/41042

You have to input payment details to reserve, but if not enough people sign up and it doesn't show, you won't be charged.

You can see more about the film here:

http://www.merufilm.com/

Please help me in bringing this amazing piece of independent film-making to ED!!!!!!

Seriously? You are assuming I have an 'interest' in the film based on the above? Disingenuous? Really??!!......

The only interest I have in relation to this film is my general one in films and mountains, which both meet here. Hence why I want to see it. I'm really hope enough people buy a ticket so it shows.

Do I really have to declare that I am not in any way connected to this film or its makers? (groan) If so, then take this as that declaration. Im just a normal bloke who wants to see a film that is not on general release in the UK. This is what 'ourscreen' is for - its a fantastic thing - you propose a film, location and timing and then have to generate enough interest to guarantee it will show. That's all I'm trying to do, and if it's successful then people in the area will get to see something that would otherwise not be on.

Satisfied?!

Mick Mac, I think it depends on the venue and the day/timings chosen. I think for the less popular timings they lower the threshold. If you go to the ourscreen website and have a look around at some of the films being proposed for various venues you'll get a sense.

Ooh, thanks for organising, what a great idea! Have booked. In the same vein, I'd love to see Sherpa but missed it at the cinema. Sadly not on the our screen list currently but I can request it, for which it would be useful to demonstrate support. Anyone interested in that?

I totally would-missed Sherpa!

katanita Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ooh, thanks for organising, what a great idea!

> Have booked. In the same vein, I'd love to see

> Sherpa but missed it at the cinema. Sadly not on

> the our screen list currently but I can request

> it, for which it would be useful to demonstrate

> support. Anyone interested in that?

thanks for putting on the screening yesterday, what a fantastic documentary Meru is, amazing cinematography. I've also had a fairly positive initial response from Ourscreen about Sherpa, they said:

Thanks for getting in touch. We're keeping a log of all the requests we receive and adding films on a regular basis. We will add you to our mailing list to keep you updated and fingers crossed we'll have Sherpa on the site soon - sorry we don't already! Certainly sounds like there's sufficient interest for your screening so we'll look into adding the film as soon as possible!

• 1 month later...

So, Sherpa wasn't possible for Ourscreen to get, due to licensing issues, I suspect because it has a TV screening on the Discovery Channel this Sunday at 9pm. I might try again at a later stage because I bet it's stunning on the big screen.

However, they did suggest the Epic of Everest, https://www.ourscreen.com/film/The-Epic-Of-Everest, about Mallory and Irvine's climb. If I created a screening in May, would anyone be interested?