Another impaled car on the Nutbrook Street Bollard

Huggers

I don't know how people manage to do this, but for the third time in a month, a driver has cut the corner, driven over the bollard and become totally stuck. She was definitely on the wrong side of the road, but it has happened to people going the other way. OK of course you shouldn't cut corners, but if this bollard is to be a preventative object rather than a retributive one, its got to be a lot more visible/taller. We used to have a series of standing posts which did the job a lot better.

...before that we had an actual pavement! old fashioned concept I know, but quite effective.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It never ceases to amaze me how many people lazily

> cut corners in their cars.

I agree.

I nearly got hit by one last week. If I had been a bit nearer the corner, I would have been. Driver came round the corner at speed on the wrong side of the road and narrowly missed my car.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It never ceases to amaze me how many people lazily

> cut corners in their cars. I actually think power

> steering has made people worse.

Power steering is fantastic, it enables people to drive round corners while texting!

It's possible a blocking lorry in Adys waved her through a gap on the wrong side and she took the corner slowly on a clear road. That does happen with huge vehicles getting stuck and encouraging drivers to squeeze around them. She was quite a young driver.

• 5 months later...

Well a massive Cedars Assist lorry towing another flat bed truck just ran straight over it tonight and broke it out of its concrete. What is this the 6th time this year it has had to be concreted back in.

Those double yellow lines will just encourage that type of vehicle to try and make the turn rather than back out.Shame the council don't seem interested in solving the issue.

It would be a nice thought, but I'm not sure one way would help much with this particular problem. A large vehicle can't safely navigate that corner whichever direction it is going. Unfortunately the council seem completely disinterested in solving this. They did a traffic survey over a year ago, said there was a problem and then have done nothing since.

I think it's partially that, partially because the shape allows vehicles (especially larger ones) to drive up it and trap their wheel arches and partially because it's completely black. Adding some reflective material would be an easy touch to improve matters.

That said unlike posts it can't be bent or broken and just needs re-concreting in every month or so, it would probably be more expensive for the council to endless replace damaged bollards. This is probably why they switched the tall bollards out for this one.

• 3 years later...
I have been menaced by tailgating cars as I go up Adys Road before the turn into Nutbrook, then you find someone coming out of Nutbrook is blocking it- I usually just continue up Adys when this happens and go the long way round but unsuspecting people get pushed further and further into the bollard and once you are a certain distance you can't see it at all